disadvantages to reapplying?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TheLawrax

disadvantages to reapplying?

Postby TheLawrax » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:58 am

Hi all,
I just re-took the LSAT on October and got a less-than-promising score. I have a 3.6 undergrad GPA at a top-ranked school, but only a 163 LSAT. I've decided to retake the LSAT in February, which I know won't likely be considered by any T14 schools for this cycle. I'm shooting for just about anywhere in the top 14, and have no problem sitting out the waitlist until the bitter end if it's even a possibility.

I'm also making a contingency plan to reapply next fall (hopefully with a better score in Feb) BUT I was wondering if there are any tangible disadvantages to reapplying to schools? Any reason why I shouldn't apply this year?
Thanks!

paglababa

Re: disadvantages to reapplying?

Postby paglababa » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:02 am

the application fees for one?

I don't think you can do T14 with those stats mate. Do you also not want ANY scholarship money? I would simply focus all my energy on the lsat and forget about applying until next year. Law school is not going away.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:43 pm

TheLawrax wrote:I'm also making a contingency plan to reapply next fall (hopefully with a better score in Feb) BUT I was wondering if there are any tangible disadvantages to reapplying to schools? Any reason why I shouldn't apply this year?
Thanks!

If your application doesn't change, yes. If it changes in some substantial way (a higher LSAT would be included in that list), then not really, other than the time/energy/cost of applying this year.

But if you're not going to be happy going to a school to which you'd be admitted with your current numbers, I would skip applying this year.

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:21 pm

I'm thinking you may want to reprep for the LSAT, take it in Feb, and try to boost your score - and apply next year once you do. It's that, or only pick 1-2 reach schools, and the rest, apply to realistically, with the intention of attending should you get in. Otherwise, I think you'd be wasting your time and money.

Now, if money is not a concern for you, then apply wherever you'd like this year, and no worries. If you really can boost your LSAT and maybe gain additional work experience, you can always re-apply next year, and it's fine to do so. It's really just the $$$ and time spent on apps this year, with very little chance of getting into the schools you really seem to want.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”