receiving money after applying ED

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
goodude91

receiving money after applying ED

Postby goodude91 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:45 pm

I'm applying early decision to school because it is my top choice school and my numbers are borderline. however, i would like to receive some sort of aid as well, of course.

im retaking the lsat in december, and the early decision notification will come before that time. if i improve my lsat by a handful of points will i be in position to let them know of this increase and potentially rack in a few extra $$ from them? or is it too late at that point since they have me locked in? my numbers right now are just a tick below the median for gpa and lsat but comfortably above the 25% percentile.

californiauser

Re: receiving money after applying ED

Postby californiauser » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Which school?

goodude91

Postby goodude91 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:53 pm

usd

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:55 pm

In general, how common is it for accepted ED applicants to get scholarships? Or do schools play the "we've got you locked in at sticker, why would we give you any money" game to the hilt?

goodude91

Postby goodude91 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:00 pm

Well, according to most schools websites they treat scholarships the same regardless of ED or not...the extent of which that is true, who knows.

i know as of now i'm in line to receive next to zero dollars but im just wondering if this is negotiable after an acceptance through ED and higher test score.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:11 pm

You give away any potential leverage you have when you ED, so scholarship amounts will almost always be less regardless of what schools say.

Don't ED to USD, though. You'd be taking way too much debt for bad job prospects. CA market is tough right now, and it gets especially dangerous if you're not going to S/B/UCLA/USC. The only way I'd do USD is if it was near-free (counting COL) with no stips on the scholarship. Nail your retake and aim higher.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:14 pm

The better way to get money is to retake and make your numbers less borderline.

grungy89

Postby grungy89 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:29 pm

I hate to be one of those "retake" posters, but it sounds as though you've already signed up for the Dec. LSAT. If you are only wanting to ED there to possibly make up for low numbers then I would just wait and apply RD with your new (and hopefully, higher) score and feel sure of getting admission without having to wonder if you're missing out on any money. Does that make sense?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”