Distancing from a GPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nooooo

New

Distancing from a GPA

Post by nooooo » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Does time away from UG help in any significant way from distancing a horrible GPA, and if so, is it negligible or considerable? I know it's a numbers game primarily, but I was curious is this has any bearing on my admission chances. Also, I already know NU is friendly to WE, so I'm asking in a broader sense. I'm also aware an MA GPA is generally inflated (and worthless), but curious if these factors might add up to any ounce of positive leaning toward an applicant.

For those that want my specific numbers / situation to get an idea of what I mean:
2.8 LSDAS GPA, 6 years of WE, Graduated UG '09, MA '11

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Distancing from a GPA

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:57 pm

To the extent it matters it's negligible. Fortunately a 2.8 is plenty to get you into Northwestern if you can score a 170.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:06 pm

Look up the poster craigsan18... lowish and old GPA (2.7 or 2.80) but solid LSAT (173), great WE/softs, very solid personal statement, ed UVA and... waitlisted. I'm fairly certain a K-JD would also end up on the WL there with those numbers.

Bottom Line: when it comes to law school admissions, there's almost nothing you can do to get away from your uGPA.

IpleadtheFiF

New

Post by IpleadtheFiF » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:41 pm

nooooo wrote:6 years of WE, Graduated UG '09, MA '11
Considering that you only graduated four years ago, can you explain how you have six years of work experience? I'm not trying to be snide, I'm just confused.

nooooo

New

Post by nooooo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:00 pm

IpleadtheFiF wrote:
nooooo wrote:6 years of WE, Graduated UG '09, MA '11
Considering that you only graduated four years ago, can you explain how you have six years of work experience? I'm not trying to be snide, I'm just confused.
I worked full time during college. If I counted anytime I worked 32+ hours weekly, it'd be closer to 8 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”