Softs, How bad to be considered bad? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Otunga

Silver

Re: Softs, How bad to be considered bad?

Post by Otunga » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:23 am

Happy Gilmore wrote:
asdfjkz900 wrote:
esse est percipi wrote:
asdfjkz900 wrote: So is it tcr that having lackluster softs will not be much of a factor when applying to law school, but that I should have them for the sake of employment post-law school?
No. It will hurt you for both. You'll probably still get into Chicago and Columbia, but HYS will be tough. People with your numbers get dinged every year at H for weak softs. Work experience, extracurriculars and school leadership positions will rarely help you overperform your numbers, but a lack of these things will likely make you underperform.
So is this tcr? I know I have a marginal chance at Stanford and Yale, but I'd be super happy with Harvard
How do you know you have a marginal chance at Stanford and Yale? Just from your numbers? If you have absolutely no softs whatsoever I would write those two off and just hope Harvard decides to take you.
Doesn't HLS take the vast majority of applicants with his stats? To 'just hope' might be a little strong. He can definitely fluff up the resume with the volunteer positions with some help from people who know how to write resumes.

OP: do you have any paid W/E?

asdfjkz900

New

Post by asdfjkz900 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:35 am

Happy Gilmore wrote:How do you know you have a marginal chance at Stanford and Yale? Just from your numbers? If you have absolutely no softs whatsoever I would write those two off and just hope Harvard decides to take you.
Lol you mad bro?

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:40 am

asdfjkz900 wrote:
Happy Gilmore wrote:How do you know you have a marginal chance at Stanford and Yale? Just from your numbers? If you have absolutely no softs whatsoever I would write those two off and just hope Harvard decides to take you.
Lol you mad bro?
He's probably right about Yale and Stanford, though.

asdfjkz900

New

Post by asdfjkz900 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:55 am

Well yeah; I thought I made it clear that I knew I had a very small chance (if at all) at YS. That shouldn't preclude me from sending an application or two their way, especially with my numbers no?

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:58 am

asdfjkz900 wrote:Well yeah; I thought I made it clear that I knew I had a very small chance (if at all) at YS. That shouldn't preclude me from sending an application or two their way, especially with my numbers no?
Definitely send. It'd be absurd not to with your numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Happy Gilmore

Bronze

Post by Happy Gilmore » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:16 am

asdfjkz900 wrote:
Lol you mad bro?
Na just the way you worded it made it sound like you thought you had a better shot at YS then H. I was only taking issue with that part (It's probably not how you mean't it or said it- just how I understood it). Basically that your chances at H are better then YS is all I mean't by that.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:31 pm

I had really terrible softs. Your above median GPA will get you HLS, YS are possible because of how close to perfect your numbers are (Distance from median and/or 75% is generally considered a soft, and a good one) but I wouldn't hold your breath.

esse est percipi

New

Post by esse est percipi » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:27 pm

Those numbers aren't going to be completely indicative. First, students with outstanding GPAs and test scores tend to be very involved, successful people. It's probably quite rare to be in OP's situation. Second, the people that report on LSN are generally well-prepared applicants who probably have higher than average softs. And third, most of these cited Harvard admits are not K-JD (meaning they have full time work experience, which is probably impressive given their GPAs).

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:19 pm

esse est percipi wrote:Those numbers aren't going to be completely indicative. First, students with outstanding GPAs and test scores tend to be very involved, successful people. It's probably quite rare to be in OP's situation. Second, the people that report on LSN are generally well-prepared applicants who probably have higher than average softs. And third, most of these cited Harvard admits are not K-JD (meaning they have full time work experience, which is probably impressive given their GPAs).
Very good points. Though I doubt it's THAT rare to be in OPs situation. Lots of people in college have fun and are able to get stellar grades without getting much real-world experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

King Cayuga

Gold

Post by King Cayuga » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:32 pm

Do internships at law firms and government offices count as work experience? I have a lot of internships but only one actual "job", and that was from HS...

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:01 pm

esse est percipi wrote:Those numbers aren't going to be completely indicative. First, students with outstanding GPAs and test scores tend to be very involved, successful people. It's probably quite rare to be in OP's situation. Second, the people that report on LSN are generally well-prepared applicants who probably have higher than average softs. And third, most of these cited Harvard admits are not K-JD (meaning they have full time work experience, which is probably impressive given their GPAs).
Counter argument: 29-0

Above both medians is a really strong bet for HLS though failure can still occur, it likely won't be because of lack of WE.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”