Softs, How bad to be considered bad?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
asdfjkz900

Softs, How bad to be considered bad?

Postby asdfjkz900 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:03 am

Thanks all
Last edited by asdfjkz900 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

redsox

Re: Softs, How bad to be considered bad?

Postby redsox » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:13 am

How does a K-JD end up with long stretches of doing nothing? Isn't the whole point that your life has been one long stretch of being a student?

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:04 am

Yep, sounds like you're going to Cooley. :cry:

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:49 am

It will probably hurt you if it is actually as bad as you say. You've had to have done at least something? No W/E at all?

But probably not enough to make you an auto-ding at H. Still a chance to get in.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:55 am

have you done anything besides go to class and go to the library? If you did, then you can talk about them.

In the end its mostly all about the LSAT and the GPA

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:17 pm

So you have a 176 and a 3.98? Shut up and go away.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:20 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:So you have a 176 and a 3.98? Shut up and go away.

HLS median GPA is 3.88.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:57 pm

What's done is done, and since you're not considering working, there's really nothing else you can do. You should get H, but if you seriously underperform your numbers, maybe reconsider getting some WE and reapplying.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:29 pm

it doesn't sound like this will affect your LS apps that much, but it will definitely bite you in the ass when it comes time to look for jobs

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:34 pm

Join a sports team and/or a student club, and get a hobby, while you're at it.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:48 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:it doesn't sound like this will affect your LS apps that much, but it will definitely bite you in the ass when it comes time to look for jobs

I agree with this. You should consider working 1 year after graduation.

asdfjkz900

Postby asdfjkz900 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:07 pm

redsox wrote:How does a K-JD end up with long stretches of doing nothing? Isn't the whole point that your life has been one long stretch of being a student?

Pretty much; the only things I did were go to school and have fun. :)

asdfjkz900

Postby asdfjkz900 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:08 pm

Happy Gilmore wrote:It will probably hurt you if it is actually as bad as you say. You've had to have done at least something? No W/E at all?

But probably not enough to make you an auto-ding at H. Still a chance to get in.

Couple volunteer positions but no formal work exp

asdfjkz900

Postby asdfjkz900 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:10 pm

northwood wrote:have you done anything besides go to class and go to the library? If you did, then you can talk about them.

In the end its mostly all about the LSAT and the GPA

I have things I can talk about for fifteen minutes, but i might sound a little affected

thewaves

Postby thewaves » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:23 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
hichvichwoh wrote:it doesn't sound like this will affect your LS apps that much, but it will definitely bite you in the ass when it comes time to look for jobs

+1. The legal market is against K-JDs with nothing on their resume. Even at HLS.

asdfjkz900

Postby asdfjkz900 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:29 pm

thewaves wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

+1. The legal market is against K-JDs with nothing on their resume. Even at HLS.

Thanks for the advice. I have about 9 months left until law school starts so I'll definitely look into jobs. Would securing a full-time job during this period suffice?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:36 pm

asdfjkz900 wrote:
thewaves wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I have about 9 months left until law school starts so I'll definitely look into jobs. Would securing a full-time job during this period suffice?

Having any sort of work experience, even low-level, will go a long way towards helping you at OCI. I had a low level white collar job before law school and it definitely helped me in interviews. Those that had high level work experience (think PE, banking etc.), there was a measurable boos in outcomes. However, anything will help.

asdfjkz900

Postby asdfjkz900 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:45 pm

Having any sort of work experience, even low-level, will go a long way towards helping you at OCI. I had a low level white collar job before law school and it definitely helped me in interviews. Those that had high level work experience (think PE, banking etc.), there was a measurable boos in outcomes. However, anything will help.[/quote]

Thanks for the wise words

So is it tcr that having lackluster softs will not be much of a factor when applying to law school, but that I should have them for the sake of employment post-law school?

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:57 pm

asdfjkz900 wrote:Having any sort of work experience, even low-level, will go a long way towards helping you at OCI. I had a low level white collar job before law school and it definitely helped me in interviews. Those that had high level work experience (think PE, banking etc.), there was a measurable boos in outcomes. However, anything will help.

Thanks for the wise words

So is it tcr that having lackluster softs will not be much of a factor when applying to law school, but that I should have them for the sake of employment post-law school?[/quote]

not so much softs as work experience. No one will ever care what leadership positions you had in UG clubs

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:59 pm

asdfjkz900 wrote:So is it tcr that having lackluster softs will not be much of a factor when applying to law school, but that I should have them for the sake of employment post-law school?

For both apps and OCI you just need things that can fill the resume and provide something to talk about for a few minutes in interviews.

esse est percipi

Postby esse est percipi » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:15 am

asdfjkz900 wrote:So is it tcr that having lackluster softs will not be much of a factor when applying to law school, but that I should have them for the sake of employment post-law school?

No. It will hurt you for both. You'll probably still get into Chicago and Columbia, but HYS will be tough. People with your numbers get dinged every year at H for weak softs. Work experience, extracurriculars and school leadership positions will rarely help you overperform your numbers, but a lack of these things will likely make you underperform.

Get involved in your school right now. Hopefully you'll be able to get a leadership position come next semester. Then get a year of work experience. Then enjoy Harvard.

SupCutie

Postby SupCutie » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:17 am

Well I'm not HYS bound, but I'm probably effed if weak softs are a factor.

I literally went to class, had fun, volunteered here and there, worked at a coffee shop briefly and played intramural sports lol.

asdfjkz900

Postby asdfjkz900 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:11 am

esse est percipi wrote:

No. It will hurt you for both. You'll probably still get into Chicago and Columbia, but HYS will be tough. People with your numbers get dinged every year at H for weak softs. Work experience, extracurriculars and school leadership positions will rarely help you overperform your numbers, but a lack of these things will likely make you underperform.

So is this tcr? I know I have a marginal chance at Stanford and Yale, but I'd be super happy with Harvard

asdfjkz900

Postby asdfjkz900 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:11 am

SupCutie wrote:Well I'm not HYS bound, but I'm probably effed if weak softs are a factor.

I literally went to class, had fun, volunteered here and there, worked at a coffee shop briefly and played intramural sports lol.

Story of my college life

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:18 am

asdfjkz900 wrote:
esse est percipi wrote:

So is this tcr? I know I have a marginal chance at Stanford and Yale, but I'd be super happy with Harvard

How do you know you have a marginal chance at Stanford and Yale? Just from your numbers? If you have absolutely no softs whatsoever I would write those two off and just hope Harvard decides to take you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”