LSAC fee waiver

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
amc987

LSAC fee waiver

Postby amc987 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:51 am

Hey all,

Quick question about need-based LSAC fee waivers. Does anyone know the maximum amount of cash one can have in the bank and still receive one? My friend just applied and got denied and couldn't find the info anywhere on the LSAC site. I guess they have an incentive to not tell people- knowing future law students, they'd probably empty their bank accounts right before they applied in order to appear indigent and save on application fees- but it'd still be interesting to know.

Thanks in advance!

xylocarp

Re: LSAC fee waiver

Postby xylocarp » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:29 pm

I don't know about any specific maximums, but a friend of mine applied with about $2k in savings and she didn't get the waiver. Otherwise it seemed like she definitely should have qualified.

angels2fly

Postby angels2fly » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:34 pm

xylocarp wrote:I don't know about any specific maximums, but a friend of mine applied with about $2k in savings and she didn't get the waiver. Otherwise it seemed like she definitely should have qualified.

Tell your friend to re-apply. The preliminary analysis is a computer. If you petition it and send in the documents and a note explaining your circumstances a human reads it.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:58 pm

angels2fly wrote:
xylocarp wrote:I don't know about any specific maximums, but a friend of mine applied with about $2k in savings and she didn't get the waiver. Otherwise it seemed like she definitely should have qualified.

Tell your friend to re-apply. The preliminary analysis is a computer. If you petition it and send in the documents and a note explaining your circumstances a human reads it.

Unfortunately she applied last cycle, but this seems like good advice for others.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”