Listing Honors/Awards

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Marshmallow
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Listing Honors/Awards

Postby Marshmallow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:16 pm

What exactly should be included in this part of the application? Dean's List?

I'm assuming we shouldn't list awards in high school?

Thanks in advance.

notalobbyist
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:25 pm

Re: Listing Honors/Awards

Postby notalobbyist » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:52 pm

Latin honors, honors societies, ____ of the year, Nobel prizes, etc.

If you won something baller in high school sure, but unless it was a national award I don't think it belongs.

User avatar
Marshmallow
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Listing Honors/Awards

Postby Marshmallow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:57 pm

notalobbyist wrote:Latin honors, honors societies, ____ of the year, Nobel prizes, etc.

If you won something baller in high school sure, but unless it was a national award I don't think it belongs.


hah! nice to know I can include my Nobel Prize ;) no but seriously, thanks!

notalobbyist
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:25 pm

Re: Listing Honors/Awards

Postby notalobbyist » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:17 pm

No worries. On the specific question of Dean's list, I guess the question is do you have anything that supersedes it? If you graduated cum laude or whatever, its kind of redundant to list it IMHO, but if you didn't then you should probably include it in a way that isn't clunky.

User avatar
Iroh
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:20 pm

Re: Listing Honors/Awards

Postby Iroh » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:49 pm

Marshmallow wrote:What exactly should be included in this part of the application? Dean's List?

I'm assuming we shouldn't list awards in high school?

Thanks in advance.


FWIW, I included my state's high school honors society in all of the apps that asked me to list my high school. I left it off for the apps that only asked about undergrad.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Listing Honors/Awards

Postby bp shinners » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Iroh wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:What exactly should be included in this part of the application? Dean's List?

I'm assuming we shouldn't list awards in high school?

Thanks in advance.


FWIW, I included my state's high school honors society in all of the apps that asked me to list my high school. I left it off for the apps that only asked about undergrad.


I would recommend leaving that off, even when the app asks you to list your high school. It won't really do any damage, but it's not helping at all.

User avatar
Marshmallow
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Listing Honors/Awards

Postby Marshmallow » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:28 pm

notalobbyist wrote:No worries. On the specific question of Dean's list, I guess the question is do you have anything that supersedes it? If you graduated cum laude or whatever, its kind of redundant to list it IMHO, but if you didn't then you should probably include it in a way that isn't clunky.



very good point...




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sonyco and 3 guests