Question Regarding Character/Fitness Disclosure

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BoyOhBoyle

Question Regarding Character/Fitness Disclosure

Postby BoyOhBoyle » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:09 pm

Hello all,

In 2001, I ran a school bus stop sign. Well, I stopped, but then I just went without waiting for the sign to go back up. I know, stupid. But I was cited and I paid the fine, and according to the Minnesota Traffic Laws website, it counts as a misdemeanor. Is this something I have to disclose, or does it fall under "minor traffic violation"? I am leaning towards disclosing it, since I seriously doubt it can hurt me, but I don't want them to think I'm stupid for disclosing something that doesn't even count. I'm not trying to hide it, but I don't want to be penalized for disclosing something that they might think obviously doesn't need to be disclosed, if that makes any sense. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Happy Gilmore

Re: Question Regarding Character/Fitness Disclosure

Postby Happy Gilmore » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:32 pm

Disclose, won't hurt you. It happened in 2001 lol. If there is no trend or repeat offense, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

BoyOhBoyle

Postby BoyOhBoyle » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks. :D

I was planning on disclosing it, but had a moment of panic when I imagined the admissions person reading it and saying "What an idiot. Can't this girl read directions? This obviously qualifies as a minor traffic incident and doesn't need to be disclosed. Denied!"

But I think it'd be better to disclose it and risk that happening, rather than not disclose it and have it wind up being something that DID need to be disclosed, then have to go through all that nonsense once it comes time to take the bar.

I shall disclose. Thanks again!

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:51 pm

BoyOhBoyle wrote:Thanks. :D

I was planning on disclosing it, but had a moment of panic when I imagined the admissions person reading it and saying "What an idiot. Can't this girl read directions? This obviously qualifies as a minor traffic incident and doesn't need to be disclosed. Denied!"

But I think it'd be better to disclose it and risk that happening, rather than not disclose it and have it wind up being something that DID need to be disclosed, then have to go through all that nonsense once it comes time to take the bar.

I shall disclose. Thanks again!

The disclosure section is the one where the schools are going to completely understand if you don't follow the letter of the question because you're afraid of the consequences of not disclosing.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”