LSDAS GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
osubucknut
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:07 am

LSDAS GPA

Postby osubucknut » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:42 am

If I never used an academic forgiveness program, withdrew from a class, or retook a class, should my LSDAS GPA be the same as the GPA on my transcript? Would there be any other reason my GPA would change? Sent my transcript to LSAC this week and I am starting to get nervous...

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby midwest17 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:04 pm

The main sources of differences are:

* If your school doesn't use the standard A=4,A-=3.67, etc scale.
* You withdrew from classes.
* Your school doesn't count some of your grades.
* You took classes at multiple institutions.
* Your school puts A+s on your transcript, but counts them as 4.0 in calculating your GPA.

If none of those apply, then I can't think of why you'd see a discrepancy. But there's no way to be certain until LSAC finishes calculating it.

User avatar
Beercules
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:44 am

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby Beercules » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:25 pm

Mine went up 0.1 point from my degree-granting institutions' GPA. I'm not complaining.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby bp shinners » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:23 pm

osubucknut wrote:If I never used an academic forgiveness program, withdrew from a class, or retook a class, should my LSDAS GPA be the same as the GPA on my transcript? Would there be any other reason my GPA would change? Sent my transcript to LSAC this week and I am starting to get nervous...


If your school gives A+s but doesn't factor them in, you'll go up.
If you went to a community college either before college or to take classes during high school, those grades will be factored in.

Otherwise, you should be approx. the same as your transcript GPA.

Really don't worry about this - most people aren't affected by it, and those that will be affected by it generally know that it's coming. If you can't think of a specific reason it would change, it probably won't.

User avatar
mellow
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby mellow » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:23 pm

bp shinners wrote:If your school gives A+s but doesn't factor them in, you'll go up.
If you went to a community college either before college or to take classes during high school, those grades will be factored in.

Otherwise, you should be approx. the same as your transcript GPA.

Really don't worry about this - most people aren't affected by it, and those that will be affected by it generally know that it's coming. If you can't think of a specific reason it would change, it probably won't.

My professors give out A+s, but my school doesn't include them in the transcript so I didn't get any boost for them boo :(

User avatar
Motivator9
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:03 am

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby Motivator9 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:25 pm

bp shinners wrote:
osubucknut wrote:If I never used an academic forgiveness program, withdrew from a class, or retook a class, should my LSDAS GPA be the same as the GPA on my transcript? Would there be any other reason my GPA would change? Sent my transcript to LSAC this week and I am starting to get nervous...


If your school gives A+s but doesn't factor them in, you'll go up.
If you went to a community college either before college or to take classes during high school, those grades will be factored in.

Otherwise, you should be approx. the same as your transcript GPA.

Really don't worry about this - most people aren't affected by it, and those that will be affected by it generally know that it's coming. If you can't think of a specific reason it would change, it probably won't.


May I ask how a withdrawal would affect the GPA calculation ?

ZVBXRPL
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby ZVBXRPL » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:45 pm

 "Your school puts A+s on your transcript, but counts them as 4.0 in calculating your GPA."

Does this cause LSDAS GPA to go up?

User avatar
jaesonko
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:22 am

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby jaesonko » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:52 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote: "Your school puts A+s on your transcript, but counts them as 4.0 in calculating your GPA."

Does this cause LSDAS GPA to go up?


Yes, your LSDAS GPA can be above a 4.0 if you have A+s.

Straw_Mandible
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:10 pm

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby Straw_Mandible » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:52 pm

Motivator9 wrote:May I ask how a withdrawal would affect the GPA calculation ?


I am interested in this too. I was under the impression that it does not, unless WF.

leroyjenkins6969
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby leroyjenkins6969 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:55 pm

If you took college courses during high school, but those credits weren't factored into your UG transcript, should the transcript for courses taken during high school be submitted to LSAC?

ZVBXRPL
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby ZVBXRPL » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:27 pm

Straw_Mandible wrote:
Motivator9 wrote:May I ask how a withdrawal would affect the GPA calculation ?


I am interested in this too. I was under the impression that it does not, unless WF.

Depends what type of of W (WWF, WWP, W). There's a link (which I can't locate) that allows you to enter your school to see whether LSDAS counts it. Can someone link?

amb89
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:47 pm

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby amb89 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Here.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm

But its hell calculating 120 credit hours

leroyjenkins6969
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby leroyjenkins6969 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:36 pm

For what it's worth, I had 2 Ws and my LSDAS GPA was completely unchanged.

ZVBXRPL
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby ZVBXRPL » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:44 pm

amb89 wrote:Here.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm

But its hell calculating 120 credit hours

No. I'm referring to a link that tells u whether you're grades will be counted by LSDAS.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:02 pm

leroyjenkins6969 wrote:If you took college courses during high school, but those credits weren't factored into your UG transcript, should the transcript for courses taken during high school be submitted to LSAC?

Yes. The transcript from whatever institution gave you the credit for those classes should be submitted even if they were transferred to your UG.

leroyjenkins6969
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby leroyjenkins6969 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:02 pm

So I looked at the unofficial transcript for the college courses I took in high school, and it seems as if they would bump my LSDAS GPA up from a 3.64 to a 3.65.

It would take at least a week for LSAC to receive and process the transcript, however.

Is it worth it to submit my apps on say 11/21 instead of 11/14 for that extra .01?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:06 pm

leroyjenkins6969 wrote:So I looked at the unofficial transcript for the college courses I took in high school, and it seems as if they would bump my LSDAS GPA up from a 3.64 to a 3.65.

It would take at least a week for LSAC to receive and process the transcript, however.

Is it worth it to submit my apps on say 11/21 instead of 11/14 for that extra .01?

Well, technically your application is incomplete without that transcript.

leroyjenkins6969
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby leroyjenkins6969 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:36 pm

OK. How much do you think the delay will affect my application, if at all?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:36 pm

leroyjenkins6969 wrote:OK. How much do you think the delay will affect my application, if at all?

Before Thanksgiving is still plenty early.

leroyjenkins6969
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby leroyjenkins6969 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:40 pm

OK, thanks so much!

User avatar
Pishee77
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:14 am

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby Pishee77 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:11 am

If a withdrawal in non-punitive at your UG, it doesn't hurt your LSDAS…right? :shock:

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby bp shinners » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:54 pm

Pishee77 wrote:If a withdrawal in non-punitive at your UG, it doesn't hurt your LSDAS…right? :shock:


Correct.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Lordcarnus123, S_annora and 3 guests