Application Employment Section: Hours per week

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
longlivetheking

Application Employment Section: Hours per week

Postby longlivetheking » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:37 am

Is it necessary to fill out the hours worked per week for the employment section of the application? I ask this because I'm currently self employed and the hours work really varies. Would omitting this part be viewed negatively? It is not required to be filled to submit the app.

Happy Gilmore

Re: Application Employment Section: Hours per week

Postby Happy Gilmore » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:39 am

They are asking for a ballpark average- not the specific "I work 9-5". If you work varies each week just average it.

longlivetheking

Postby longlivetheking » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:40 am

Happy Gilmore wrote:They are asking for a ballpark average- not the specific "I work 9-5". If you work varies each week just average it.

i have a few internships that are literally do-nothings. can i omit it? is this going to be looked upon negatively?

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:15 am

longlivetheking wrote:
Happy Gilmore wrote:They are asking for a ballpark average- not the specific "I work 9-5". If you work varies each week just average it.

i have a few internships that are literally do-nothings. can i omit it? is this going to be looked upon negatively?

1. You can do what ever you want. This is your party as miley cyrus once put it.

I guess I don't understand what a "do-nothing" internship is. If you literally are doing nothing are you sure it is A) an internship? or B) something you should even be listing? I know what a "do-nothing" club is like pre-law club then I would just list that and put like 1/hr a week or something.

Basically, what I did was list the important stuff and omit the "do-nothings" in order to stay under one page. But if its all you got its all you got.

This response was all over the place and I'm too lazy to proof read it.

longlivetheking

Postby longlivetheking » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:22 am

oh i listed the important stuff in my resume. its just that in the application there's the employment section that asks you to list EVERYTHING. so i was wondering if i could skip some of the hours column for that.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:06 pm

longlivetheking wrote:oh i listed the important stuff in my resume. its just that in the application there's the employment section that asks you to list EVERYTHING. so i was wondering if i could skip some of the hours column for that.

If you skip the hours column for some, I'm going to assume that those are do-nothing clubs/internships, just as much as if you write 1 hour/week. Might as well fill it in since it's asked for.

KingofSplitters55

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:37 pm

Optional section. Leave it blank if you don't feel like answering. Marginal effect at best.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”