Why X school essay. Mention girlfriend in X's med school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Nooblarzlarz

Why X school essay. Mention girlfriend in X's med school?

Postby Nooblarzlarz » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:36 pm

Dear TLS,

I am currently writing a Why X law school essay for a school where my LSAT/GPA is above their 75th percentile. I don't want to get YP'd which is why I'm writing the essay in the first place, and am wondering if I should include the fact that my girlfriend is currently attending their medical school when discussing my visit on the campus?

I figure they'd be less likely to YP me if they knew I already had some ties to the school and area, but am not sure if it is appropriate for an essay.

Thanks!

rwhyAn

Re: Why X school essay. Mention girlfriend in X's med school?

Postby rwhyAn » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:45 pm

I don't know how this could possibly hurt you. Instead, it seems like it would only benefit you, as it shows a compelling reason why you would want to attend that school. I say put it in.

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:13 pm

absolutely include it. It's true, it's compelling and it's important to you.

mellow

Postby mellow » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Yes, you should include it. A small, most likely insignificant, change I'd do is use the words "significant other" rather than "girlfriend." Just according to my past experiences working with HR - have no idea if admission councils think the same way.

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:26 pm

Yeah include it

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:59 pm

melodygreenleaf wrote:Yes, you should include it. A small, most likely insignificant, change I'd do is use the words "significant other" rather than "girlfriend." Just according to my past experiences working with HR - have no idea if admission councils think the same way.

This - if you're going to include it, make it seem like you're more committed than just being in the dating phase. Not saying it's going to happen to you, but the presumption is that a relationship that doesn't involve a ring won't survive law school.

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:03 pm

melodygreenleaf wrote:Yes, you should include it. A small, most likely insignificant, change I'd do is use the words "significant other" rather than "girlfriend." Just according to my past experiences working with HR - have no idea if admission councils think the same way.

I've wondered about this as well, but I doubt they'd hold the use of 'girlfriend' against you, whereas 'significant other' might sound a little stilted. I'd go with whatever sounded more natural to you, since they're trying to get a picture of who you are anyways so it's not like being personable is a bad look.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”