getting a letter of rec from my TA who left academia

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Split90

getting a letter of rec from my TA who left academia

Postby Split90 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:27 pm

Contacted my past TA couple days ago. He returned and said he'd be happy to help but informed me he had left academia and no longer affiliated with any university.

I attended a big university and didn't built a strong relationship with professors. So all of my letters would be from TAs and they all left academia.

Should I send an email to a professor and ask for LoR? I'm taking December test and planning to get all letters by Dec 10th.

cinephile

Re: getting a letter of rec from my TA who left academia

Postby cinephile » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:41 pm

You could, but I don't know that I would in your situation. Here's someone who knows you better and can write about your actual abilities, whereas the professor might have to be general, so this seems better to me.

Split90

Postby Split90 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:57 pm

yep. decided to stick with my TA. Thanks! :D

drevo

Postby drevo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:03 pm

I would imagine the TAs letters would be better because at one point they were your instructor and they obviously know you better. One of my letters is from a former TA of mine who I have a tremendous relationship with so even though he no longer works in academia he knows my writing skills more than anyone else and his letter is going to be as strong as can be. However my other letter is from a professor in my major (finance) so I'm not quite in the situation you are in. It seems to me like a stronger more personal letter > prestige of person. But I'm a 0L and don't know shit so yeah.

I would suggest maybe asking this in the "Ask a Former Admissions Dean" thread on here.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:05 pm

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you're proposing that you use letters of recommendation from former graduate students who are not enter academia after graduating (or dropping out)? I would not do this.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:18 pm

It's still an academic recommendation, since that's the context in which the TA knew you, and the capacity in which he was working at the time. People leave academia a lot - if it's your strongest letter I don't think it will make any difference (if you had a prof who could write an equally strong letter that would be different, of course, but since it sounds like you don't, I wouldn't worry).

Split90

Postby Split90 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:22 pm

Yea I think I should just stick with my TA. I'll have one letter from a professor though, although she's not my major professor. So two from TAs (my major) and one from prof(not my major).

And.. where's that ask former admin board? I checked the index board but couldn't find anything like that name. Would love to hear from a former expert.

Thanks guys!

Split90

Postby Split90 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:27 pm

oh and my TAs all earned PhDs. They didn't drop out.

drevo

Postby drevo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:34 pm

Split90 wrote:Yea I think I should just stick with my TA. I'll have one letter from a professor though, although she's not my major professor. So two from TAs (my major) and one from prof(not my major).

And.. where's that ask former admin board? I checked the index board but couldn't find anything like that name. Would love to hear from a former expert.

Thanks guys!

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=197451

I think you have it right though. They were instructors of yours in college and know your academic ability first hand.

Split90

Postby Split90 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:39 pm

posted. thanks! :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”