(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Turd_Ferguson

Postby Turd_Ferguson » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:17 pm

Last edited by Turd_Ferguson on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McGruff

Re: Criminal record effect on admission

Postby McGruff » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:34 am

Turd_Ferguson wrote:I'm planning to apply to schools for admission in fall 2014. Unfortunately, I got cited for public intoxication last weekend while walking home from a party. I also got an MIP three years ago. Although these are minor infractions, I'm worried that schools will see a "pattern of behavior" and that it'll negatively impact my chances. I have a 170 LSAT and 3.8 UGPA so I'm not too worried in that regard. What do you guys think?

You're not worried in what regard? Your admissions, regard? Then why make this thread?

Just do the C&F addendum, don't seem irresponsible (which you would if you make excuses or act like it's not your fault) and own up. It isn't a great look, but it's not as bad as fraud. Whether or not it breaks your app at any particular school, we'll never know. Whether or not you get in to any specific schools, we'll know when your cycle is over. There's not a whole lot of options here so I don't really get what you're asking.

Turd_Ferguson

Postby Turd_Ferguson » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:08 am

Last edited by Turd_Ferguson on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:29 am

Each is small-time stuff in isolation, but the recency and the involvement of alcohol in both instances obviously don't work in your favor. I can see some adcomms not caring much at all and others seeing this as a bit of a red flag. No way to know until your results come in. If you're not happy with the way your cycle goes, work for a couple of years and don't get cited for another alcohol-related offense.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:05 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Each is small-time stuff in isolation, but the recency and the involvement of alcohol in both instances obviously don't work in your favor. I can see some adcomms not caring much at all and others seeing this as a bit of a red flag. No way to know until your results come in. If you're not happy with the way your cycle goes, work for a couple of years and don't get cited for another alcohol-related offense.

And take an alcohol-abuse education class, even if it's not required. Doing something to show that you're voluntarily dealing with what might be an issue will allay some fears.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”