Withdrawal from Class

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sarah.diane

Withdrawal from Class

Postby sarah.diane » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:00 am

Hi all! I've been lurking on this forum for a while, but I have kind of a personal issue that I was wondering if I could get some feedback on!

I'm a junior in college and I'm thinking about applying to law school after taking a couple of years off. I'm in a class right now that's giving me a lot of issues and I'm thinking about taking a W in it. I could almost certainly end up with a B in it in the long run, but I'm taking four other classes (four is a normal course load at my university) that are suffering because I'm stressing out about this class.

I've taken five classes other semesters, but for whatever reason I'm not handling it very well at the moment. My basic question is if I should take the B in the class or withdraw from it? How do law schools view a W? My GPA is currently a 3.7, but I'm trying to get it up to a 3.8 by graduation.

bp shinners

Re: Withdrawal from Class

Postby bp shinners » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:07 pm

sarah.diane wrote:Hi all! I've been lurking on this forum for a while, but I have kind of a personal issue that I was wondering if I could get some feedback on!

I'm a junior in college and I'm thinking about applying to law school after taking a couple of years off. I'm in a class right now that's giving me a lot of issues and I'm thinking about taking a W in it. I could almost certainly end up with a B in it in the long run, but I'm taking four other classes (four is a normal course load at my university) that are suffering because I'm stressing out about this class.

I've taken five classes other semesters, but for whatever reason I'm not handling it very well at the moment. My basic question is if I should take the B in the class or withdraw from it? How do law schools view a W? My GPA is currently a 3.7, but I'm trying to get it up to a 3.8 by graduation.

From a law school admissions standpoint, withdraw. Schools won't care about a single W, and very few will even notice the break in the trend of 5 classes per semester. They will notice a lower GPA.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”