GPA Addendum help

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
closerup

GPA Addendum help

Postby closerup » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:46 pm

Edited for obvious reasons.
Last edited by closerup on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lockfast

Re: GPA Addendum help

Postby Lockfast » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:02 pm

Don't over think it. Identify the poor grade (Ecology, F's --> C) and explain why, maybe something like: "It was unusually challenging and frustrating and resulting in my poor grade." Subsequently, highlight your success in other courses (seems like your A/B average). The C is, clearly, an anomaly. Just demonstrate how it is different and what you believe caused you to do poorly.

My addendum was no more than 3-5 sentences, one paragraph.

closerup

Postby closerup » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:00 pm

OK, thank you Lockfast. I just wasn't sure if my reason sounded like a dumb excuse.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:03 pm

You write GPA addendums for extenuating circumstances that prevented you from being able to adequately dedicate yourself to your studies (e.g., parent passing away, diagnosed with cancer during UG, etc.). You don't write them because you found one particular set of classes difficult.

All this will serve to do is point to your weakness and say "I did poorly because it was tough." Law school is tough, and admissions people don't want to admit people who can't rise to the challenge.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:51 pm

Bedsole wrote:You write GPA addendums for extenuating circumstances that prevented you from being able to adequately dedicate yourself to your studies (e.g., parent passing away, diagnosed with cancer during UG, etc.). You don't write them because you found one particular set of classes difficult.

All this will serve to do is point to your weakness and say "I did poorly because it was tough." Law school is tough, and admissions people don't want to admit people who can't rise to the challenge.

This.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:38 pm

midwest17 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:You write GPA addendums for extenuating circumstances that prevented you from being able to adequately dedicate yourself to your studies (e.g., parent passing away, diagnosed with cancer during UG, etc.). You don't write them because you found one particular set of classes difficult.

This.

Yep, just hopping on to the "don't write one" bandwagon, for the above reasons.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”