Retaking LSAT after already getting in?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gatorgal
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 am

Retaking LSAT after already getting in?

Postby gatorgal » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:54 am

I've already gotten into a T14, but I know I'm capable of a better LSAT that might swing me into CCN or Penn/UVA. I applied to some of those already with the score I have, but I'd wager I might get waitlisted at a few of those due to my GPA.

So here's the question: if I get waitlisted, would a strategy to get off the waitlist be to take the Feb LSAT? And if so, would that affect my applications already sent in/completed and their subsequent acceptances? Would it put my admission on "hold" since my application is now being readjusted? Or do I really have nothing to lose (besides $160) by retaking the LSAT in February now that I'm already admitted somewhere?

I'd like to improve my chances at some other schools, but I don't want to affect the acceptance I already have. (I also didn't want to wait on those applications by waiting for a Dec LSAT score since my score was already viable - if you're wondering why I'm looking at February).

Or would it make more sense to try to get off the waitlist in another way (a letter of recommendation, an extra "Why X" essay, etc)?

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by gatorgal on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BentleyLittle
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Re: Retaking LSAT after already getting in?

Postby BentleyLittle » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:02 am

Bump. Interested in pursuing a similar strategy.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Retaking LSAT after already getting in?

Postby midwest17 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:15 pm

I can't imagine any way that it would affect the acceptance you already have in hand. I suppose a school could hypothetically rescind an offer if you scored significantly lower on your retake, but I doubt that's ever happened. There's also very little reason to do so (unlike rescinding for drops in GPA) since only the highest LSAT counts.

Whether a retake would put a hold on your other applications is up to you. I think schools will consider your application with your first LSAT or wait for your second, depending on what you ask them to do. I would definitely ask them to go ahead with your first score if you're not retaking until February.

gatorgal
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 am

Re: Retaking LSAT after already getting in?

Postby gatorgal » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:43 pm

I probably won't decide to retake until I get decisions from those schools in question (I've already applied to many of them with my current score, so the application is already complete and under review). And if those decisions happen to be a waitlist, then I would call the respective admissions offices and ask if that was the best course of action.

I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't affect acceptances (to schools I'm very happy to go to). It's all very hypothetical at this point.

Thanks!

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2225
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Retaking LSAT after already getting in?

Postby jingosaur » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:23 pm

People have retaken the LSAT after getting accepted somewhere and then used that score to barter for more scholarship money. I think Penn Law says somewhere on their site that they will consider the February LSAT score even after an acceptance or a waitlist. I strongly considered going this route, but ultimately decided I was ready for my third take in October. Penn told me that they would consider the October LSAT score even though I applied in late September.

gatorgal
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 am

Re: Retaking LSAT after already getting in?

Postby gatorgal » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:35 pm

jingosaur wrote:People have retaken the LSAT after getting accepted somewhere and then used that score to barter for more scholarship money. I think Penn Law says somewhere on their site that they will consider the February LSAT score even after an acceptance or a waitlist. I strongly considered going this route, but ultimately decided I was ready for my third take in October. Penn told me that they would consider the October LSAT score even though I applied in late September.


Awesome, thanks.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Why???, Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest