Need advise on undergrad summer class before 1l year

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dlw144

Need advise on undergrad summer class before 1l year

Postby Dlw144 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:41 pm

I am going to be applying to law schools in February because I am taking the February LSAT. After this next spring semester I have one more class to take to complete my minor in economics. Since I don't need the minor to graduate I can still walk in May and take that last class in the first session of the summer semester. I was wondering if it would hurt my admission chances if I were to take that summer class.
Also, If it didn't hurt my chances I was thinking of taking an english class that same summer session which I do need to graduate. My advisor informed that I could still walk in May if did this.

The schools I am applying to include: the university of texas, Georgetown, SMU, Houston, Baylor, Texas Tech, LSU, and Tulane

midwest17

Re: Need advise on undergrad summer class before 1l year

Postby midwest17 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:08 am

Dlw144 wrote:I am going to be applying to law schools in February because I am taking the February LSAT. After this next spring semester I have one more class to take to complete my minor in economics. Since I don't need the minor to graduate I can still walk in May and take that last class in the first session of the summer semester. I was wondering if it would hurt my admission chances if I were to take that summer class.
Also, If it didn't hurt my chances I was thinking of taking an english class that same summer session which I do need to graduate. My advisor informed that I could still walk in May if did this.

The schools I am applying to include: the university of texas, Georgetown, SMU, Houston, Baylor, Texas Tech, LSU, and Tulane

Will your graduation date be at the end of the first summer session, or the end of the summer? (Even if you're only taking classes in the first session, your school may only allow graduation at the end of all the summer sessions). If the end of the summer, is that before the first day of fall classes at all of the law schools you're applying to? (When you "walk" is irrelevant.) You have to graduate before you matriculate at law school, and it's the official graduation date that counts.

As to hurting admissions chances, I doubt it. I don't even think you'll need to tell law schools that this is your plan: I think most just ask you to certify that you will have your bachelors before the fall semester at the law school. But you shouldn't take my word on that one.

Dlw144

Postby Dlw144 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:48 pm

Will your graduation date be at the end of the first summer session, or the end of the summer? (Even if you're only taking classes in the first session, your school may only allow graduation at the end of all the summer sessions). If the end of the summer, is that before the first day of fall classes at all of the law schools you're applying to? (When you "walk" is irrelevant.) You have to graduate before you matriculate at law school, and it's the official graduation date that counts.

Thanks for the response, the questions you asked really cleared things up for me. My official graduation date would be at the end of the summer so its either August 8th or 9th. From what I've seen on most of the schools' websites the start dates aren't until the last week of August.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Dlw144 wrote:Will your graduation date be at the end of the first summer session, or the end of the summer? (Even if you're only taking classes in the first session, your school may only allow graduation at the end of all the summer sessions). If the end of the summer, is that before the first day of fall classes at all of the law schools you're applying to? (When you "walk" is irrelevant.) You have to graduate before you matriculate at law school, and it's the official graduation date that counts.

Thanks for the response, the questions you asked really cleared things up for me. My official graduation date would be at the end of the summer so its either August 8th or 9th. From what I've seen on most of the schools' websites the start dates aren't until the last week of August.

You should be fine. You may want to call up the admissions officers at the schools you're applying to just to be on the safe side, though.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Dlw144 wrote:I am going to be applying to law schools in February because I am taking the February LSAT.

Let's just hope that isn't the only reason!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”