North Carolina - UNC Residency Reclassification

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WatfordForTheWin

North Carolina - UNC Residency Reclassification

Postby WatfordForTheWin » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:59 pm

I am from Tennessee but am very interested in attending UNC and practicing in North Carolina afterwards. I know common TLS thought on UNC out of state applicants is that it is harder to get into UNC because of the 70/30 in state out of state ratio. I was assured from an admissions rep from UNC that this is a trend not a standard. With that said I was also told I could gain North Carolina residency during my time there for maybe my 2L or 3L year saving tons of money. My question is has anyone personally, or know someone personally who has tried to gain instate residency at UNC and whether or not they were successful with this. Thanks!

Ron Mexico

Re: North Carolina - UNC Residency Reclassification

Postby Ron Mexico » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:32 pm

Why not just move there before attending to get residency.

WatfordForTheWin

Postby WatfordForTheWin » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:11 pm

Because you have to have lived there for 3 years to be considered in state upon applying. And im not 100% sold on North Carolina, just looking for some insight for if I do end up getting accepted and attend

dandoe123

Postby dandoe123 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:56 pm

i've done it, but it's not the easiest to accomplish, especially if you have no ties to NC. in my case, my wife's lived in NC for awhile and has a permanent job here. that really helped a lot.

if you do decide to go UNC and want to apply for in-state residency in 2L year, do everything you can to convince them that you want to stay in NC for the long haul as soon as you can (e.g. driver's license/car registration/voter registration/community involvement/bank account/etc.). also make sure you save EVERYTHING, cause you'll have to submit proof when applying.

good luck.

WatfordForTheWin

Postby WatfordForTheWin » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Dandoe123 -- Thanks for the insight!

WatfordForTheWin

Postby WatfordForTheWin » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Does anyone else have some insight on this?

IpleadtheFiF

Postby IpleadtheFiF » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:57 pm

WatfordForTheWin wrote:Because you have to have lived there for 3 years to be considered in state upon applying. And im not 100% sold on North Carolina, just looking for some insight for if I do end up getting accepted and attend

FALSE
I just spoke face-to-face with an admissions officer at UNC yesterday. He was frustrated because he has been trying to dispel that piece of misinformation, which was posted here on TLS, for years. You need to live in NC for one year (I'm not sure if that's 12 consecutive months or one calendar year) in order to be eligible for in-state residency, plus all the supporting documents described by Dandoe123. Why not send an email to UNC?

Edit:
Btw, I'm posted some notes from my UNC tour in the Law School Visits forum sometime today or tomorrow

WatfordForTheWin

Postby WatfordForTheWin » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:38 pm

I thought i got the 3 year thing from the website but i must have heard that on here because the website says exactly what you said. I too talked to a rep face to face this month. I know that you can do it, and some of what you need to do, i am just looking for tips from people who have done it and gauging how possible it is.

WatfordForTheWin

Postby WatfordForTheWin » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:41 pm

IPleadtheFIF- thanks for the clarification

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”