The farthest someone has gone to take LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:57 pm

Yeah thats what I thought too. Turns out we were both wrong.
Last edited by BillsFan9907 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:56 pm

That seems relatively reasonable.
Last edited by BillsFan9907 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chaseychase

Re: Where in "Europe" should I take the LSAT

Postby chaseychase » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:11 pm

Paris seems like the best choice. When I was there over the summer it was pretty difficult to come across someone who didn't understand or speak English.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:26 am

Seoulless wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Seoulless wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
What flight is 200?

MAD to Sofia

Bulgaria? You are worried about English speaking people in Paris but you're considering taking a test in Bulgaria? I've been there and the level of English makes Paris seem like Topeka Kansas.

Too true. You took at the test at Eurosites, Rue de la Chapelle, Paris, France? If so, how's the neighborhood?

It seemed fine I guess. But Paris is kind of weird. You can be walking on a street that has a Rolex and Chanel store and then you turn a corner and the neighborhood gets a little sketchy. from what I remember it didn't seem bad but I didn't stay in the neighborhood. I stayed with a friend.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:47 am

Dagestan

Gamine

Postby Gamine » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:15 am

Why don't you just go to London?

erik the viking

Postby erik the viking » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:39 am

I took the test in Munich twice (drove from Frankfurt the day before each time). If you take it in November you overlap with Octoberfest. That could be a good way to wind down. Personally I found it a bit seedy and debacherous and left pretty quickly, but it was interesting to have seen. Munich is a very nice cosmopolitan city. There's a lot to do and see and everyone I met spoke English. I recommend a walk in the English garden the evening before the test to relax and then check out the nightlife after. I went to a tapas bar with a local who was taking the test afterwards and that was quite fun. I bet Tblisi would be fun too, but the chance of encountering some unexpected difficulties would make me inclined to choose Munich.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:06 am

Understood.
Last edited by BillsFan9907 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Seoulless wrote:Hey guys -

I've ultimately decided on Sofia, Bulgaria. The number one priority was a comfortable testing experience in reference to budget constraints. The main considerations with respect to this were a) testing center reliability/comfort b) sleeping accommodations and 3) nutritional needs.

If I had the cash, then hands down I'd go to Paris. With my budget, however, I was left with the option of sleeping in a de facto cardboard box and living off Mcdonald's in Paris (or any of the several other Western European locales) or for the same price staying at a 5 star hotel (more or less) and eating really well in Sofia.

Plus, as a side consideration, Sofia does offer the exotic factor that made Yerevan and Tibilisi appealing: after the test I am going to do a day trip either to Pristina, Kosovo or Skopje, Macedonia.

You can do Paris cheaply (relatively). I think you really wanted to go visit eastern Europe, which is cool but remember why you are there. Not for a 5 star hotel or Kosovo or anything else. Don't worry about your day trip or think about the cool sights you'll see when you land. you're there for the LSAT and only the LSAT. All that other stuff is secondary.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:39 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:You can do Paris cheaply (relatively). I think you really wanted to go visit eastern Europe, which is cool but remember why you are there. Not for a 5 star hotel or Kosovo or anything else. Don't worry about your day trip or think about the cool sights you'll see when you land. you're there for the LSAT and only the LSAT. All that other stuff is secondary.

Sure, in Paris you can find a dorm bed at a hostel for $40/night or a private for $80/night (and hope that the hostel is near the testing center), but for $80 you can stay in a legit hotel in Sofia. Especially considering that LSATs are held on the weekends, I personally wouldn't want to chance it with a hostel. Good food, taxis, etc are also going to be cheaper in Sofia. If you're on a budget, the comfort and ease that people are ascribing to Paris, London, Munich, etc are going to be at a negative compared to Bulgaria.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:47 pm

cotiger wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:You can do Paris cheaply (relatively). I think you really wanted to go visit eastern Europe, which is cool but remember why you are there. Not for a 5 star hotel or Kosovo or anything else. Don't worry about your day trip or think about the cool sights you'll see when you land. you're there for the LSAT and only the LSAT. All that other stuff is secondary.

Sure, in Paris you can find a dorm bed at a hostel for $40/night or a private for $80/night (and hope that the hostel is near the testing center), but for $80 you can stay in a legit hotel in Sofia. Especially considering that LSATs are held on the weekends, I personally wouldn't want to chance it with a hostel. Good food, taxis, etc are also going to be cheaper in Sofia. If you're on a budget, the comfort and ease that people are ascribing to Paris, London, Munich, etc are going to be at a negative compared to Bulgaria.

Dud he's coming from Madrid. He can fly to Paris in a couple of hours for under a 80 Euros. It's going to cost him 300 Euros to get to Bulgaria. He needs a night at a hotel. i could easily find him a hotel for the difference in price. And much shorter travel time. Another plus is since he lives so close to france he knows he can always come back. He won't be tempted to party it up because he/she could take a train back next weekend. They're turning LSAT into a vacation trip. Which is ok as long as he/she understands that their there for business first.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:51 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
cotiger wrote:

Dud he's coming from Madrid. He can fly to Paris in a couple of hours for under a 80 Euros. It's going to cost him 300 Euros to get to Bulgaria. He needs a night at a hotel. i could easily find him a hotel for the difference in price. And much shorter travel time. Another plus is since he lives so close to france he knows he can always come back. He won't be tempted to party it up because he/she could take a train back next weekend. They're turning LSAT into a vacation trip. Which is ok as long as he/she understands that their there for business first.

OP said he was using miles, so flight cost isn't a factor. Flight time is relevant, though.. I have no idea how long it is to Sofia.

I wasn't saying that OP would be tempted to party, just that at the level of accomodation he would be staying at in Paris on a budget, there's a relatively high likelihood of a late night party outside his door. He would want to stay at a business hotel, which in Paris is going to be pricey. Also, I was assuming two nights for a dry run the day before. That, plus food etc, adds up. If OP could do Paris without stressing about money, I'd say go there. But it seems that he can't, so Sofia isn't a bad choice.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”