December Retake? applying this cycle Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
alex24

New

December Retake? applying this cycle

Post by alex24 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:51 pm

Hi,
I am applying this cycle. My first score was in the lower 160s and then I got a 168. My gpa is 3.77.

Should I retake this December even though some of my applications are already out? My exams are both about 5 points lower than my average PTs before them for various reasons including nerves and dumb mistakes.

I've been reading a couple of these threads and I'm starting to get really uncomfortable with my score. I'm hoping to get into a couple "lower" T-14s (with safeties in the 15-25ish range). Any advice is appreciated !
Last edited by alex24 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: December Retake? 168/3.77 applying this cycle

Post by BigZuck » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:52 pm

alex24 wrote:Hi,
I am applying this cycle. My first score was in the lower 160s and then I got a 168.

Should I retake this December even though some of my applications are already out? My exams are both about 5 points lower than my average PTs before them for various reasons including nerves and dumb mistakes.

I've been reading a couple of these threads and I'm starting to get really uncomfortable with my score. I'm hoping to get into a couple "lower" T-14s (with safeties in the 15-25ish range). Any advice is appreciated !
Yes. Retake

alex24

New

Post by alex24 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:56 pm

BigZuck wrote:
I am applying this cycle. My first score was in the lower 160s and then I got a 168.

Yes. Retake

is that from a financial standpoint in terms of getting merit aid, or is it required to even be likely to get in anywhere? I saw that Michigan's new median is at a 168 which made me feel better but is that maybe falsely low?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:40 am

alex24 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Yes. Retake

is that from a financial standpoint in terms of getting merit aid, or is it required to even be likely to get in anywhere? I saw that Michigan's new median is at a 168 which made me feel better but is that maybe falsely low?
Mixture of both. But predominantly the former. Debt sucks.

midwest17

Gold

Re: December Retake? applying this cycle

Post by midwest17 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:58 am

I am applying this cycle. My first score was in the lower 160s and then I got a 168. My gpa is 3.77.

Make sure you're PTing in as realistic conditions as possible; it'll help with the nerves. Also, remember that some "dumb mistakes" are normal on the LSAT: it's a product of the time constraints and the pressure. Don't count on not having any.

But if you're PTing consistently higher in realistic conditions, definitely retake. It'll help with both admissions and scholarships.

alex24

New

Re: December Retake? applying this cycle

Post by alex24 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:01 pm

I guess I'll apply with the score I have now and then let schools know that I'm retaking in Dec. Thanks for your help

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”