GPA Addendum for college classes taken in High School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
maasai

New

GPA Addendum for college classes taken in High School

Post by maasai » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:40 pm

I took college classes as a high school junior and senior at the flagship public university of the state I grew up in. It was through a concurrent enrollment program for high-achieving high school students. My average GPA was 3.0 for the 3 college classes I took, all of which were sophomore and junior level college classes.

Since my two GPAs are so close to the GPA medians for T14, I feel like an addendum could help. I challenged myself as a high school student, although it ended up possibly hurting me in the long run - at least as far as law school is concerned.

My UGPA according to the LSAC is 3.65 but at the Big Ten school I graduated from it was a 3.70. It's unfortunate my college classes from high school drag it down, because a 3.7 seems to be a fairly decent GPA for getting into most of the T14.

Thoughts on an addendum?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: GPA Addendum for college classes taken in High School

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:14 pm

It won't help. At least you're not like most people with college credit from high school ("how was I supposed to know that college credits would matter?? wahhhh!") but you don't have a legit reason for the underperformance (getting chemo, taking care of six orphaned siblings, etc.). Even if you did have a legit reason, its effect would be negligible. Law schools don't get to report a different GPA to USNWR just because you wrote an addendum.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:48 pm

No addendum. It won't help.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:59 pm

I have yet to hear a story of "I took college classes in high school and it turned out great for me." Someone should tell hs students to stop this.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:43 pm

Cicero76 wrote:I have yet to hear a story of "I took college classes in high school and it turned out great for me." Someone should tell hs students to stop this.
I had 3 As in my high school/college classes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

illyria

New

Post by illyria » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:30 pm

Cicero76 wrote:I have yet to hear a story of "I took college classes in high school and it turned out great for me." Someone should tell hs students to stop this.
My college classes during high school bumped up my LSDAS GPA by 0.1. Colleges that allow this dual enrollment usually seem to be easier state schools, so I think it can be quite helpful if you go on to a challenging undergraduate program afterward.
Last edited by illyria on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:03 am

The college classes I took in high school bumped my LSAC GPA by 0.03.

maasai

New

Post by maasai » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:04 am

rinkrat19 wrote:It won't help. At least you're not like most people with college credit from high school
I do have college credit for those classes, and over 20 credits from AP classes. Is that a problem?

oshberg28

Bronze

Post by oshberg28 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:31 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
I had 3 As in my high school/college classes.
Ditto.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jordan15

Bronze

Post by jordan15 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:59 am

An addendum is used to explain a major discrepancy like a semester of Fs. A 3.0 is not something to explain. Having your GPA "dragged down" by .05 is also no big deal. Some people discover that their GPA is dragged down an entire point because of a year of punitive withdrawals or repeated classes. I think an addendum could actually hurt you because it will appear whiny.

Also, "junior level" community college classes?

maasai

New

Post by maasai » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:26 pm

jordan15 wrote: Also, "junior level" community college classes?
No, 300-level classes designed for college juniors.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”