Difference between submitting and completing the app?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tigersaresexy

Difference between submitting and completing the app?

Postby tigersaresexy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:46 am

UPenn, for example, says that for ED the application must be submitted by November 15th and Completed by the end of the month. What exactly comes under 'submitting' and under 'completing'?

I'm trying to prioritize what I should do first, I'm going on vacation from the 6th to the 16th so I want to know what I should do before I leave and what I can do after I get back.

phillywc

Re: Difference between submitting and completing the app?

Postby phillywc » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:49 am

You have to do everything before you leave. Don't submit an incomplete app. There is nothing you add between submitted and complete unless you done fucked up.

tigersaresexy

Postby tigersaresexy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:44 am

Is it okay to add a letter or recommendation? If so, how do I do that through CAS? will there be an option after I send in my app to send an extra letter?

kobe1020

Postby kobe1020 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:19 pm

tigersaresexy wrote:Is it okay to add a letter or recommendation? If so, how do I do that through CAS? will there be an option after I send in my app to send an extra letter?

i think you CAN send extra LOR because that is not something from yourself, not like any statement or essay or resume. But make sure you have your own homework done before submission. Remember to tell your recommender to stick to the date!

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:10 pm

tigersaresexy wrote:UPenn, for example, says that for ED the application must be submitted by November 15th and Completed by the end of the month. What exactly comes under 'submitting' and under 'completing'?

I'm trying to prioritize what I should do first, I'm going on vacation from the 6th to the 16th so I want to know what I should do before I leave and what I can do after I get back.

Submit = You hit the "Submit" button.

Complete = You actually have all the required components of the application turned in.

For example, you could just fill in your name and contact info on the application and "submit" it before (in this case) Nov. 15. If you did nothing more, you would meet the first deadline, but not the second.

The prototypical example is more common for RD, i.e. you submit the application before you have your LSAT score or final transcript. Then, over the next few weeks, the score/transcript/whatever is processed by LSAC and your report is sent to the school, thereby "completing" your application.

All sorts of things can keep an otherwise on-time application from going "complete", like missing information, lacking a required document, or not responding to a school's request for more explanation of a C&F issue.

Dean Perez

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”