Resume writing. Leave out unimportant work experiences?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kobe1020

Resume writing. Leave out unimportant work experiences?

Postby kobe1020 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:58 pm

Should I leave out those unimportant experiences for example a long time part time job at Walmart to make extra bucks? or should I still list it, just try to minimize the space it takes and give more important work experiences more lines?

Thank you guys!!

rinkrat19

Re: Resume writing. Leave out unimportant work experiences?

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:59 pm

List it, and minimize to just a bullet point or two if you need the room.

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:30 am

I left off Wendy's and a summer golf course job. I wish I had put it on now and just went over 2 pages but I was feeling too lazy to edit. In fact, judging by how my cycle is going so far, I would suggest doing the opposite of what I did and don't be lazy. Do the extra stuff and supplemental essays.

#YOLO

daryldixon

Postby daryldixon » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:33 am

If you have other significant w/e you should leave it off.

kobe1020

Postby kobe1020 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:53 am

Happy Gilmore wrote:I left off Wendy's and a summer golf course job. I wish I had put it on now and just went over 2 pages but I was feeling too lazy to edit. In fact, judging by how my cycle is going so far, I would suggest doing the opposite of what I did and don't be lazy. Do the extra stuff and supplemental essays.

#YOLO

i'm just not sure should i go over 1 page or not..i know some law schools actually want to see everything..

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:59 am

kobe1020 wrote:
Happy Gilmore wrote:I left off Wendy's and a summer golf course job. I wish I had put it on now and just went over 2 pages but I was feeling too lazy to edit. In fact, judging by how my cycle is going so far, I would suggest doing the opposite of what I did and don't be lazy. Do the extra stuff and supplemental essays.

#YOLO

i'm just not sure should i go over 1 page or not..i know some law schools actually want to see everything..

Yeah quite a few do actually. But I was in the 3 applications an hour mode and gave zero fucks. Hence my regrets. Put a small line for each W/E job you did (but don't worry about describing it too much unless you were in a position of leadership).

Walmart, Farmville USA. July 2010-Present. Cashier.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:45 pm

kobe1020 wrote:

#YOLO

You should be able to get everything on to 1 page. If you can't, you're writing too much*. I don't need to know that, as a cashier, you were involved in helping customers. The title is enough.

*Unless you have something like 10 years of work experience.

Attax

Postby Attax » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:44 pm

bp shinners wrote:i'm just not sure should i go over 1 page or not..i know some law schools actually want to see everything..

You should be able to get everything on to 1 page. If you can't, you're writing too much*. I don't need to know that, as a cashier, you were involved in helping customers. The title is enough.

*Unless you have something like 10 years of work experience.[/quote]

Question regarding this. My WE is only through my undergrad, but includes my self-employment, actual jobs, internships, and was wondering about putting sponsors on there since I technically was "employed" to advertise for them while racing my motorcycle. Seems that it would also give a little something unique to the resume. I was also just considering listing one job as a racer and listing all my sponsors underneath that, so as to not have multiple sponsors listed and listed.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:47 pm

Attax wrote:
bp shinners wrote:i'm just not sure should i go over 1 page or not..i know some law schools actually want to see everything..

Question regarding this. My WE is only through my undergrad, but includes my self-employment, actual jobs, internships, and was wondering about putting sponsors on there since I technically was "employed" to advertise for them while racing my motorcycle. Seems that it would also give a little something unique to the resume. I was also just considering listing one job as a racer and listing all my sponsors underneath that, so as to not have multiple sponsors listed and listed.[/quote]
I would list one job for racing and then put a few sponsors (especially ones with recognizable names) in one sentence, not a bullet list. There's no reason to take up 10 lines of the page with it, but it's interesting enough to include.

It should still fit on one page.

kobe1020

Postby kobe1020 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:06 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Attax wrote:

Question regarding this. My WE is only through my undergrad, but includes my self-employment, actual jobs, internships, and was wondering about putting sponsors on there since I technically was "employed" to advertise for them while racing my motorcycle. Seems that it would also give a little something unique to the resume. I was also just considering listing one job as a racer and listing all my sponsors underneath that, so as to not have multiple sponsors listed and listed.

I would list one job for racing and then put a few sponsors (especially ones with recognizable names) in one sentence, not a bullet list. There's no reason to take up 10 lines of the page with it, but it's interesting enough to include.

It should still fit on one page.[/quote]

it's just because i have a master degree that takes up another four lines...

KingofSplitters55

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:20 am

Do 2 pages if you need to. This ain't anything close to a job resume. The 1-page limit is largely irrelevant.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:40 am

KingofSplitters55 wrote:Do 2 pages if you need to. This ain't anything close to a job resume. The 1-page limit is largely irrelevant.

Very few people actually need more than one page, and it's a good practice to get it down to one page now for when you're actually applying for jobs and need a one page resume. First, why on earth does your master's need four lines to describe it? That is excessive by any standard, regardless of what the concentration is. Your resume throughout life should be concise and get to the point. You can describe each job, internship, activity, degree very easily with one or two sentences. No single description should ever run over two or three lines. You're only in undergrad, so it's pretty likely you don't need more than one page to describe everything you've done professionally and academically in your life.

I agree that someone with significant and extensive work experience may need more than one page, but unless you had a long career prior to undergrad, I'll go ahead and spoil it for you: you don't fall into this category.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:29 am

rinkrat19 wrote:I would list one job for racing and then put a few sponsors (especially ones with recognizable names) in one sentence, not a bullet list. There's no reason to take up 10 lines of the page with it, but it's interesting enough to include.

It should still fit on one page.

Make sure that it's okay to list your sponsors - some contracts limit your ability to do so. I don't think it would apply here (it's usually when the company doesn't necessarily want it getting out which freelancers they use; that's the exact opposite of what you want as a sponsor), but it's something to think about.

But yes, still should fit on one page.

guano

Postby guano » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:35 am

Even with 10 years work experience, it's unlikely that you can justify going over two pages

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:07 pm

guano wrote:Even with 10 years work experience, it's unlikely that you can justify going over two pages

+100
I have 10 years of experience, plus volunteering, and I can fit my resume (including law school stuff) on one page.

guano

Postby guano » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:15 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
guano wrote:Even with 10 years work experience, it's unlikely that you can justify going over two pages

+100
I have 10 years of experience, plus volunteering, and I can fit my resume (including law school stuff) on one page.

Basically, unless you're applying for a job with the words director, president, board, or partner in the title, don't do it.

oshberg28

Postby oshberg28 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:15 pm

The resume is yours to craft as you see fit. Unless instructions specifically state to list all of your work experiences, you are under no obligation (and no expectation) to list everything you have done. I have over almost 15 years of work experience (7 professionally), and there is no way I would list all of my jobs (in fact, I applied to law school in 2010 and didn't list a few jobs I had).

With that said, your resume obviously needs to be accurate (ie, don't make up stuff).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”