barely above 50% GPA @ target. P/F? SR YR Fall grades

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
prospect2014

barely above 50% GPA @ target. P/F? SR YR Fall grades

Postby prospect2014 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:51 pm

may need to P/F. F is still possible. Prof said I'm @ B-/C+ somehow. A is impossible, and A- hurts my gpa.

I'm definitely P/Fing, but do schools (HYSCCN) ask you to submit your fall grades before they make a decision?

EDIT: W is still an option. It's not ideal but I think I can explain it (senior, a lot of shit going on), should schools even request it. I have a week or 2 to decide whether I'm P/Fing or flat-out withdrawing.

P is basically straight C or better. withdrawing basically eliminates the chance that I might get an F, which would put me out of the running @ hysChi. Unless W also looks really bad?

1 W on my transcript, 1 P. not in the same semester
Last edited by prospect2014 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cicero76

Re: barely above median GPA @ target school. P/F?

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:30 pm

I don't recall sending my fall grades right away, but I could be wrong. Plus, they'll see them eventually anyway.

One P/F class is not going to matter in the slightest. Take the class P/F, but don't fail it. It boggles my mind that failing a P/F class is possible in senior year, but if you say so it must be true. Do the work!

prospect2014

Re: barely above median GPA @ target school. P/F?

Postby prospect2014 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:31 pm

when you say they'll eventually see them, do you mean before matriculation, or before they admit you? I know I'll have to send my final transcript anyway, but I'm more worried about getting in and whether I get in before or after fall grades come out.

I asked the prof and this is what he said:

Prof: if things progress pretty much the way they've been, you're @ B-/C+
Me: would I have to something extraordinary to get back to the A level.
Prof: I think we're beyond that now (i.e., impossible)
Me: Am I at the floor now, or could I fall some more?
Prof: if you don't show up the rest of the way, or if you let your groupmates down, that would be an F. So that's one extreme. other things you do will have different effects (???).

The reason I say F is still possible is that if I P/F, failing becomes C-, whereas otherwise a D- would pass. I didn't even know I was doing that badly until I asked him recently, shortly before the P/F deadline. I thought I was at A-/B+ (which I would P/F anyway). That's why I think that it probably won't take that big of a fuckup to drag me to the C- range, because most of the things he said were little things (show up on time, don't take that many bathroom breaks, show that you care about the assignments).

In light of this, don't withdraw? if one P/F isn't that big of a deal, what's one W going to do (other than dropping me to one class fewer than a normal courseload)?

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:59 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Happy Gilmore

Re: barely above 50% GPA @ target. P/F? SR YR Fall grades

Postby Happy Gilmore » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:27 am

I'm still confused by the title. I know you were going for clarity but DAMN.

prospect2014

Postby prospect2014 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:37 am

I was also going for space economy. I typed the max # of letters

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:39 am

I can respect that.

prospect2014

Postby prospect2014 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:41 am

so how about the OP and other post themselves?

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:50 am

I'm confused, if you can withdraw with a non-punitive W, why wouldn't you? Is bailing on this course going to keep you from graduating?

If there's even a chance you'd fail a P/F, get the fuggles out of there.

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:55 am

prospect2014 wrote:so how about the OP and other post themselves?

It comes down to whether or not you ultimately think you are going to pass. If you can make it, do it. If you honestly think you will not pass then withdraw. Schools will not care at all about the Pass/Fail unless you fail.

prospect2014

Postby prospect2014 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:14 am

twentypercentmore wrote:I'm confused, if you can withdraw with a non-punitive W, why wouldn't you? Is bailing on this course going to keep you from graduating?

If there's even a chance you'd fail a P/F, get the fuggles out of there.

Because I'm aiming for HYSChi (as the ones who care about my GPA), and I don't want them to think I couldn't hack it at this class that might be tangentially relevant to litigation

prospect2014

Postby prospect2014 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:01 pm

UPDATE: spoke with prof again, somehow literally just showing up is worth 20% and promptness is 10%. all of other classes either put attendance @ 0 or at most 5%.

he said I'm still in the B-/C+ range. he noted my progress in being a volunteer in a few demonstrations, but said that he couldn't comprehend how I'd be 5min late again after all our conversations. he said I have a reputation now with him as the late guy.

I don't care about the B-/C+, but I just want a C flat or better so I can pass. he said as long as I do A B C...X Y Z, I can avoid the C range, but I didn't ask him to clarify whether A B C means literal perfection in all the other categories.

this week was the last class before the P/F & W deadline. should I just W to eliminate the risk that I fail? it'd be my 2nd W, but it's in a class where withdrawing from it could suggest that I'm anti-fun or anti-social.

targets are HYS

Happy Gilmore wrote:
prospect2014 wrote:so how about the OP and other post themselves?

It comes down to whether or not you ultimately think you are going to pass. If you can make it, do it. If you honestly think you will not pass then withdraw. Schools will not care at all about the Pass/Fail unless you fail.

will they care about the W?

the other thing i can do is just get the W but then stall sending in my fall grades until I'm in, but if YS get dragged into march/april, then I might be in a bind

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:28 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:39 pm

Suck it up. Quit being the late guy and just get it done. There is no risk if you just put the time and effort in. A pass will always look better than a late semester withdraw. The difference will be marginal, but its still better to just finish the class. So again, suck it up and get it done.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:03 pm

prospect2014 wrote:but said that he couldn't comprehend how I'd be 5min late again after all our conversations. he said I have a reputation now with him as the late guy.

Others have given you good advice for your situation, so I'm going to offer some unsolicited advice!

I, also, can't comprehend how you can continue to be late for class after the professor told you not to. He gave you notice of what you had to do, and you ignored it. There is a good chance you'll have some professors with similar feelings regarding attendance and promptness in law school. Get it together and get used to showing up to class on time.

I was the same way in undergrad - I needed to fix it quickly in law school.

prospect2014

Postby prospect2014 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:31 pm

bp shinners wrote:
prospect2014 wrote:but said that he couldn't comprehend how I'd be 5min late again after all our conversations. he said I have a reputation now with him as the late guy.

Others have given you good advice for your situation, so I'm going to offer some unsolicited advice!

I, also, can't comprehend how you can continue to be late for class after the professor told you not to. He gave you notice of what you had to do, and you ignored it. There is a good chance you'll have some professors with similar feelings regarding attendance and promptness in law school. Get it together and get used to showing up to class on time.

I was the same way in undergrad - I needed to fix it quickly in law school.

Duly noted, but what's the good advice I've received? I see two competing answers: 1. suck it up and just P/F. and 2. get the hell out of there (W) since there's a chance that I could fail

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:31 pm

You're not receiving competing advice. Both of us agree that if there's a solid chance you might fail this class, withdraw, because withdraw >>>>>>>>>>> fail.

That said, if you feel like you'll almost definitely pass the class if you suck it up and do your job, then do it P/F. Because having a P on your transcript >>>>>>>>>>>>> a late semester W.

There's no disagreement here.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”