LSAT addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
definitelyreal

LSAT addendum?

Postby definitelyreal » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:32 pm

I already sort of made up my mind about this, but I wanted to run this by TLSers to confirm that I'm not secretly dumb.

I had a 167 on my first LSAT, and decided to retake, and just got my score back and got a 163. I'll be sending in apps this year. Before you automatically stop reading and reply with a "RETAKE," I've already decided to not retake and hope that my first score would be high enough for the schools that take the highest score.

I don't have to write an addendum explaining why my recent score is lower than my first one, do I? I've heard that within-5-points' difference is more or less negligible when it comes to the LSAT.

IpleadtheFiF

Re: LSAT addendum?

Postby IpleadtheFiF » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:04 pm

According to interviews with admissions officers from top schools, none of them care about LSAT addenda. Their rationale is that if there was a legitimate reason that caused you to score poorly, then you should retake. An addendum, at best, will be seen as an annoyance. At worst, it will make you look like a whiner that can't accept responsibility.

edit: spelling
Last edited by IpleadtheFiF on Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Re: LSAT addendum?

Postby bp shinners » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:36 pm

definitelyreal wrote:I don't have to write an addendum explaining why my recent score is lower than my first one, do I? I've heard that within-5-points' difference is more or less negligible when it comes to the LSAT.

It's less because of the less-than-5-point difference and more because there's not much for you to say. If there was a reason your score would have been lower, you should have canceled.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”