3.89 and 172 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zhcrobert

New

3.89 and 172

Post by zhcrobert » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:42 am

I am an international transfer student. My first two years were at a top Chinese university and my grades there were evaluated by LSAC. It is determined to be ABOVE AVERAGE.
I have been in a large public university in the United States for two years and now is my third and final year. I have GPA of 3.89, LSAT 172 (October 2013), chemistry and economics double major. I have attended two distinguished undergraduate research program during the last two summers, one is in Columbia University (I don't know if this will help me).
Which law school should I apply to? What about my chance to NYU and Columbia? Is it possible that I will be admitted to Harvard?
Thanks!

Diamond

Re: 3.89 and 172

Post by 06102016 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:47 am

zhcrobert

New

Post by zhcrobert » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:05 pm

slackademic wrote:Apply to every school. Literally every single school.

And don't post a thread like this again. Thanks.
I am sorry but why? this is the first time I post something in TLS

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:38 pm

You have a chance at Harvard, solid shot at Columbia assuming you don't have any grammatical in your essays, and solid LoRs. Also an accent (especially a heavy one) will be a significant disadvantage during the JS1 assuming you get to that point.

Try being more respectful when asking for TLS advice instead of dropping a bunch of facts. Organize your thoughts more, and (this is important) work on your grammar. If you're aiming for one of the best law schools in the country you need to write well. How I would do it (using your info)

---

Hi! I was hoping someone could give me advice into which schools I should apply to? Here are my stats:

GPA: xx
LSAT: xx
Major(s): xx

I'm also an international student, I'm wondering if that would affect my chances? I'm aiming for NYU/Columbia - any tips on strengthening my application? Do you think I have a chance at Harvard? Thanks guys!

---

Welcome to TLS. Rule 1 - be respectful. Rule 2 - don't be a cocky bastard. Most of the people on this forum are a lot more accomplished than you would think. Your 3.89 GPA/double major isn't really going to impress anyone here.

rendlelaw

New

Post by rendlelaw » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:46 pm

Haters gonna hate.

I think the original post was just fine, though, for your information, this should probably go in the "What are my chances" forum.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:00 pm

Apply to the entire T14 and see what happens. If you're thinking of ED, Columbia wouldn't be a bad choice.

zhcrobert

New

Post by zhcrobert » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:10 pm

dnptan wrote:You have a chance at Harvard, solid shot at Columbia assuming you don't have any grammatical in your essays, and solid LoRs. Also an accent (especially a heavy one) will be a significant disadvantage during the JS1 assuming you get to that point.

Try being more respectful when asking for TLS advice instead of dropping a bunch of facts. Organize your thoughts more, and (this is important) work on your grammar. If you're aiming for one of the best law schools in the country you need to write well. How I would do it (using your info)

---

Hi! I was hoping someone could give me advice into which schools I should apply to? Here are my stats:

GPA: xx
LSAT: xx
Major(s): xx

I'm also an international student, I'm wondering if that would affect my chances? I'm aiming for NYU/Columbia - any tips on strengthening my application? Do you think I have a chance at Harvard? Thanks guys!

---

Welcome to TLS. Rule 1 - be respectful. Rule 2 - don't be a cocky bastard. Most of the people on this forum are a lot more accomplished than you would think. Your 3.89 GPA/double major isn't really going to impress anyone here.
I understand that there are a bunch of students much better than me and I am not here to impress anyone. I am sorry if there are a lot of grammatical mistakes in my original post. Thank you for the advice. I will keep in mind.

zhcrobert

New

Post by zhcrobert » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:10 pm

rendlelaw wrote:Haters gonna hate.

I think the original post was just fine, though, for your information, this should probably go in the "What are my chances" forum.
Thank you so much!

zhcrobert

New

Post by zhcrobert » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:11 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Apply to the entire T14 and see what happens. If you're thinking of ED, Columbia wouldn't be a bad choice.
Thank you! I will keep in mind.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IpleadtheFiF

New

Post by IpleadtheFiF » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:18 pm

dnptan wrote:Rule 2 - don't be a cocky bastard. Most of the people on this forum are a lot more accomplished than you would think. Your 3.89 GPA/double major isn't really going to impress anyone here.
Chinese culture has different social norms. For them (us? I'm ABC), if there's an opportunity to boast, it should be taken. Name-drop as much as possible (hence the irrelevant Columbia reference). However, if someone praises you, then you should be humble.

Zhcrobert, you can get into almost any school to which you apply.

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:54 pm

+1, nothing is inherently wrong with the first post but it can rub people the wrong way. Haters are going to hate, that's unavoidable.
IpleadtheFiF wrote:
dnptan wrote:Rule 2 - don't be a cocky bastard. Most of the people on this forum are a lot more accomplished than you would think. Your 3.89 GPA/double major isn't really going to impress anyone here.
Chinese culture has different social norms. For them (us? I'm ABC), if there's an opportunity to boast, it should be taken. Name-drop as much as possible (hence the irrelevant Columbia reference). However, if someone praises you, then you should be humble.

Your stats are definitely enough for you NOT to be an auto-ding, but really at the higher schools it's tough to tell what will get you in or out. Chinese culture is different and people should respect that. Just note that you're applying to an American university not a Chinese one. A disadvantage for Chinese students is there are a lot of you trying to get into a very limited amount of slots. And a lot of you have stellar GPAs and stellar LSATs - what sets you apart from the rest of them? This is how you should be thinking for the top schools - what sets you apart and how do you capitalize on that.

That being said, if it's NORMAL in Chinese culture to name-drop and boast, consider NOT DOING IT. I for one like people SHOWING me they can get something done rather than SAYING that they can get it done. Ad-comms have seen some impressive stuff, both implicitly and explicitly stated on applications. Implicit is better. That's where LoRs come in. Name-dropping is for people who don't have the credentials to stand on their own two feet.

With a great LSAT and a great GPA, you've done all you can on that front. Focus on the variables of your application: your LoRs, your resume, and your PS (Personal Statement/Essay).

P.S. Please please please do NOT have a mayor, senator, or even Xi Jinping write you a LoR unless you personally know them and they can attest to your talents. See number 2: http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/l ... mendations

P.P.S. When I say don't boast, I don't mean undersell. Don't say things like "I was the best ____ in 20 years", rather go for "The support I received from ___ helped my project become recognized as one of the most successful ___ in 20 years, according to ___." Give credit where it's due, especially to yourself. But unfounded and subjective self-praise is a dime a dozen in applications. Try to stand out, and best of luck.

zhcrobert

New

Post by zhcrobert » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:16 pm

dnptan wrote:

+1, nothing is inherently wrong with the first post but it can rub people the wrong way. Haters are going to hate, that's unavoidable.
IpleadtheFiF wrote:

Your stats are definitely enough for you NOT to be an auto-ding, but really at the higher schools it's tough to tell what will get you in or out. Chinese culture is different and people should respect that. Just note that you're applying to an American university not a Chinese one. A disadvantage for Chinese students is there are a lot of you trying to get into a very limited amount of slots. And a lot of you have stellar GPAs and stellar LSATs - what sets you apart from the rest of them? This is how you should be thinking for the top schools - what sets you apart and how do you capitalize on that.

That being said, if it's NORMAL in Chinese culture to name-drop and boast, consider NOT DOING IT. I for one like people SHOWING me they can get something done rather than SAYING that they can get it done. Ad-comms have seen some impressive stuff, both implicitly and explicitly stated on applications. Implicit is better. That's where LoRs come in. Name-dropping is for people who don't have the credentials to stand on their own two feet.

With a great LSAT and a great GPA, you've done all you can on that front. Focus on the variables of your application: your LoRs, your resume, and your PS (Personal Statement/Essay).

P.S. Please please please do NOT have a mayor, senator, or even Xi Jinping write you a LoR unless you personally know them and they can attest to your talents. See number 2: http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/l ... mendations

P.P.S. When I say don't boast, I don't mean undersell. Don't say things like "I was the best ____ in 20 years", rather go for "The support I received from ___ helped my project become recognized as one of the most successful ___ in 20 years, according to ___." Give credit where it's due, especially to yourself. But unfounded and subjective self-praise is a dime a dozen in applications. Try to stand out, and best of luck.
It is a great post and thank you so much! It has not been a long time since I came to the United States and I am still trying to understand the culture and rule here. I really need this kind of advice. I was a little rushing when I wrote the first post, so the whole structure and sentences are not well organized. I apologize for this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”