3.8 and a 160

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BxxEro

3.8 and a 160

Postby BxxEro » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:30 am

Should I just go ahead and apply to Notre Dame and Boston College? Would I have a solid shot you think?

Dr. Review

Re: 3.8 and a 160

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:31 am

Don't waste that 3.8. Retake the LSAT.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:38 pm

You should not apply to any schools until you retake. With that GPA, you are around the GPA median of most of the lower T14. Get your LSAT up by 7 points and you're likely in at Cornell and GULC.

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:57 pm

ImNoScar wrote:You should not apply to any schools until you retake. With that GPA, you are around the GPA median of most of the lower T14. Get your LSAT up by 7 points and you're likely in at Cornell and GULC.

+1. Retake and get a 170. I had a 3.8/170 and got WLd at Harvard - will you really settle for BC if your GPA can get you into HYS? Get a 180 and write to me from New Haven.

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:25 am

dnptan wrote:Will you really settle for BC if your GPA can get you into HYS? Get a 180 and write to me from New Haven.

+1

BxxEro

Postby BxxEro » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:25 pm

Honestly, I am not the best test-taker. The next time I can take the lsat would be in FEB which is too late and can hurt my chances of admission.

I have excellent internship experience and a major that isn't in the liberal arts fields. What should I do? I could always transfer to a top tier law school after a year can't I?

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:30 pm

BxxEro wrote:Honestly, I am not the best test-taker. The next time I can take the lsat would be in FEB which is too late and can hurt my chances of admission.

I have excellent internship experience and a major that isn't in the liberal arts fields. What should I do? I could always transfer to a top tier law school after a year can't I?

You have to be in the very top of your law school class to transfer. Grades in law school are entirely based on tests.

Which sounds more difficult for someone who is bad at taking tests: studying really hard for a single test that you get multiple chances at and for which there's tons of study material out there, or studying really hard for a bunch of tests that you only get once chance at and for which there's much less study material available?

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:50 pm

BxxEro wrote:Honestly, I am not the best test-taker. The next time I can take the lsat would be in FEB which is too late and can hurt my chances of admission.

You can apply next year. I know it's shitty, but convince yourself first, and then don't worry about convincing anyone else (if it matters, tell them "I think I can get more scholarships if I get an even higher score on the LSAT" and leave it at that). Then, when you get into HYS next year, your pride at your accomplishment (as well as in your good long-term decision-making) will MORE than make up for all the bad feelings you'll have between now and then. Not to mention the profound difference that having an HYS/T6 degree will have on the rest of your life vs. a T30 degree. You only get to make this choice once, and it's not a fun one, but the outcome of what you decide will matter for the rest of your life.

I'll accept that you aren't the best test-taker, but I don't accept that you can't overcome that if you work hard enough. As midwest17 noted, you're going to have to work hard in law school no matter what, so why not start working hard now? Lots of people on this forum spend over 1000 hours studying for the LSAT, it's not just about being "the best test-taker", it's about working as hard (and as smart) as you possibly can. Don't sell yourself short, you can get a top score it if you want it bad enough.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:31 pm

BxxEro wrote:I could always transfer to a top tier law school after a year can't I?

Never, ever head to a law school you don't like with dreams of transferring - it's probably not going to happen. If you wouldn't be happy graduating from a school, don't go there.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”