Deciding to Retake LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jsede19

Deciding to Retake LSAT

Postby jsede19 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:34 am

Just got back my October LSAT score (1st attempt) and was mildly disappointed with a 167. I felt prepared--I didn't take a course, but I worked through a prep book and took around 15 old tests. I'd been averaging 169-171 over the last few weeks before the LSAT.

My main question is: if I think I can get around a 170-171 if I retake, is it worth it? I'd love a higher score, but I know a lot of schools frown on retaking the LSAT and average scores.

I'm not looking to go to law school for another couple years, but I'd like to retake the test in December or February.

Undergrad GPA of 3.98, don't really know where I want to go yet, but thinking Stanford/Penn/Georgetown/other T14 schools.

Ti Malice

Re: Deciding to Retake LSAT

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:02 am

jsede19 wrote:Just got back my October LSAT score (1st attempt) and was mildly disappointed with a 167. I felt prepared--I didn't take a course, but I worked through a prep book and took around 15 old tests. I'd been averaging 169-171 over the last few weeks before the LSAT.

My main question is: if I think I can get around a 170-171 if I retake, is it worth it? I'd love a higher score, but I know a lot of schools frown on retaking the LSAT and average scores.

I'm not looking to go to law school for another couple years, but I'd like to retake the test in December or February.

Undergrad GPA of 3.98, don't really know where I want to go yet, but thinking Stanford/Penn/Georgetown/other T14 schools.

You'd be out of your mind not to retake. Hardly any school cares about multiple scores, but even for those that do (probably only Yale and Stanford, to some extent), you would still be far better off with a higher score.

Look, taking 15 PTs is not serious preparation -- at least not by the standards of what many people do here (working through every or almost every LSAT question ever released). Consult the LSAT prep forum at length and get serious about preparing for this test. You have a YHS-worthy GPA, and your first score isn't so low that you're seriously disadvantaged even at Y or S after a retake.

Also, you performed about in line with expectations; most people score a little under their PT average on test day. Aiming for a 170-171 is weak. If you study properly for the test, you should be able to PT at 175+. With a 173, you're all but a lock for Harvard. The higher you go above 173, the better your chances at Yale and Stanford and at receiving giant scholarships from other T14 schools.

Don't tie yourself to a deadline for taking the test. February is reasonable -- if you have a decent amount of time to prepare. December is not. If you're not a morning person, remember that the June test is in the afternoon. Anyway, take the test after you've thoroughly prepared yourself.

jingosaur

Re: Deciding to Retake LSAT

Postby jingosaur » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:24 am

TI Malice is right. I got a 169 on my first try with similar PT scores. Then I started using the TLS LSAT forum and started getting mid 170s consistently on fresh PTs after reading Powerscore LR and Manhattan RC. 2 trys later I got a 175 and I have all sorts of options that I didn't have when I had a 169.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”