To retake or not?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mermaidprincess92

To retake or not?

Postby mermaidprincess92 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:44 pm

I just got my ocotber lsat scores back, disappointed. I had been stuck around the 165 mark for about a month or so and finally my last practice test 2 days before the exam I got a 169 which was my goal. My results came back today at 163.. I was very suprised and somehow my biggest loss of points came from LR which is usually my better section. I am considering retaking, but realisitically I'm not sure how much better I can do. I will only have a month of prep before the december test and am scarred I will end up with a similar score and be stuck sending my apps in in january because I had to wait on an LSAT score that didnt improve much. Would you retake in my position or stick to the score I got.

Otunga

Re: To retake or not?

Postby Otunga » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:14 pm

What are your career goals, and where would you like to work?

mermaidprincess92

Postby mermaidprincess92 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:19 pm

Ucla is my top choice, second choices are Fordham Pepperdine UCHastings, given my numbers I could probably get in there but I was really trying to shoot for a 169 for ucla. Hoping to get into entertainment law, had a few internships in that field and really enjoyed them. I also will be having some help with tuition so debt isn't as big of an issue.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:05 pm

mermaidprincess92 wrote:Ucla is my top choice, second choices are Fordham Pepperdine UCHastings, given my numbers I could probably get in there but I was really trying to shoot for a 169 for ucla. Hoping to get into entertainment law, had a few internships in that field and really enjoyed them. I also will be having some help with tuition so debt isn't as big of an issue.

If you want UCLA that badly, I think you should retake. Don't settle for Pepperdine considering their poor employment outcomes. Fordham is unusual too - seems problematic if you want to stay in Cali.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:02 am

Don't go to Hastings or Pepperdine. Terrible employment outcomes.
Don't go to Fordham. You won't get back to CA.
Retake for at least a 166/167 for possibility of USC, or 168 for either USC or UCLA.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:13 am

Listen to everyone else on Fordham, Hastings, and Pepperdine.

Paying full freight at UCLA is also crazy. Owing ~$300K at the beginning repayment in exchange for the job prospects UCLA offers is completely irrational. Retake for a large scholarship or don't go. And don't rule out applying to USC just because you favor the Bruins or Westwood. UCLA and USC are equals in L.A., and USC can be pretty generous with money.

Also, sorry to be a downer, but your odds of winding up in "entertainment law" are vanishingly small.

mermaidprincess92

Postby mermaidprincess92 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:42 am

If I retake in December and scored at the 168/169 level would I still have a chance given that it's so late in the cycle? :cry:

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:49 am

mermaidprincess92 wrote:If I retake in December and scored at the 168/169 level would I still have a chance given that it's so late in the cycle? :cry:

Yes

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”