Apply Now vs. December Retake Dilemma

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lsprospect2013

Apply Now vs. December Retake Dilemma

Postby lsprospect2013 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:23 pm

Not sure if this is the appropriate spot to post this, but I have a question regarding the December retake. I received my October 2013 score today and my applications are basically set to go. I’m planning on applying to most of my target schools with my October score. However, I’m also planning on retaking in December (while the material is still fresh) as my practice test average was a few points higher. Will this delay acceptance/waitlist/rejection decisions from the schools? In other words, will schools see that I’m taking the December LSAT and hold off on making a decision? If that’s the case, I’ll have to weigh the potential benefits of a slightly improved score vs. the delay of having my applications not looked at/complete until early January (missing early decision and interview deadlines).

Also, I assume any improvement in score could be used as leverage for scholarships and at schools in which I’m waitlisted. Is that correct? And what would happen if my score went down with the December retake?

Just trying to get as much information as possible as quickly as possible in order to make the retake decision. Please let me know if I should post elsewhere. Thanks in advance for your help!

kobe1020

Re: Apply Now vs. December Retake Dilemma

Postby kobe1020 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:34 pm

bump....same issue here...no one is helping?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:37 pm

I applied to school while my retake was pending. All my admissions were held until I got my score back, so I don't know how helpful it was. But it was helpful inje sense of schools having all my materials but the score. But a higher score is better than an earlier application 10 times out of 10.

kobe1020

Postby kobe1020 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:47 pm

hey, i think if you let them know that you are retaking, they will hold your file, so there is possibility that a later score can jeopardize your chance to get admitted early...if possible, what i am trying to do is, apply to some "safer" schools now without telling them you are retaking (possible?), and submit applications to your reach schools and tell them to wait for your new score.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:36 pm

kobe1020 wrote:hey, i think if you let them know that you are retaking, they will hold your file, so there is possibility that a later score can jeopardize your chance to get admitted early...if possible, what i am trying to do is, apply to some "safer" schools now without telling them you are retaking (possible?), and submit applications to your reach schools and tell them to wait for your new score.

This was my thought process as well, but it did not work out like that. Your LSAC report will automatically show that you are scheduled to sit for a future LSAT.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:05 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
kobe1020 wrote:hey, i think if you let them know that you are retaking, they will hold your file, so there is possibility that a later score can jeopardize your chance to get admitted early...if possible, what i am trying to do is, apply to some "safer" schools now without telling them you are retaking (possible?), and submit applications to your reach schools and tell them to wait for your new score.

This was my thought process as well, but it did not work out like that. Your LSAC report will automatically show that you are scheduled to sit for a future LSAT.

Wow, I did not know this. So if you are registered for a future LSAT, it keeps your file from being reviewed?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

Wow, I did not know this. So if you are registered for a future LSAT, it keeps your file from being reviewed?

It depends on the school. Some schools apparently evaluate your file while a retake is pending, but all the lower T14 waited to render a decision for me.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:11 pm

ImNoScar wrote:It depends on the school. Some schools apparently evaluate your file while a retake is pending, but all the lower T14 waited to render a decision for me.

Thanks for sharing this. I was under the impression that it was reversed, In that they did not consider your December score unless you specifically asked them to hold your file until that point (either via the application or email).

kobe1020

Postby kobe1020 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi can you share the name of the school that you have confirmed with? It is greatly appreciated !

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”