168, 3.92 LSAC GPA: Retaking, the nature of scholarships etc

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Otunga

168, 3.92 LSAC GPA: Retaking, the nature of scholarships etc

Postby Otunga » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Before everyone goes bonkers, I'm 95% leaning towards a retake. I scored 3-4 points below my PT average, including a -9 LR score whereas I was averaging -1/-5 on LR overall on PTs.

This is more about applications in general than it is about retaking the LSAT, and where I'm at in regards to what I want out of law school. So this seems to fit into the admissions forum but move it to Choosing A Law School if need be.

Basically, I don't want big law. I have a moderate interest in a federal clerkship, though it's not my main priority. I'm more inclined to stay local (Massachusetts) and would be content with most any kind of small law (to be determined what in particular) as long as I'm making around 60K (would settle on 50K depending on the loan situation). Also interested in criminal law - is private criminal law practice much more selective than getting into PD?

I know with my numbers that I have solid chances at NYU on down. But what about scholarships? When you see the % of people who got money at a school, you see the average of what they got. So should I assume that anybody outside of that percentage had to pay sticker price? For instance, does a median LSAT at Cornell and 75th GPA really have to pay sticker in some instances?

I think given what I want out of law school, it's not at all necessary to attend HYS. That said, would I like to go there? Sure. With a 171 and up retake, I could get into one of them. Would I go? I don't know. As it stands, Cornell looks like where I want to go, though I wonder if I should consider somewhere like BC if they give me a very substantial scholarship. Unfortunately in Massachusetts, we don't have a reputable flagship law school. That would really seem to be the go-to option here in my case. Thoughts on any of this? I know it's a demanding post, and there are a lot of questions, but I'd like some help sorting through it all.

lastsamurai

Re: 168, 3.92 LSAC GPA: Retaking, the nature of scholarships etc

Postby lastsamurai » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:42 pm

Have you played around with the graphs on lsn? If you look at accepted students to Cornell with you numbers, you can see what kind of money the individual users got.

http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1314

I think if you honestly think you can break 170 on the re-take, then go for it. I'd start putting apps in now though since your numbers are solid admit at most schools. You can update with your new score later when it comes time for scholarship decisions.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:03 pm

lastsamurai wrote:Have you played around with the graphs on lsn? If you look at accepted students to Cornell with you numbers, you can see what kind of money the individual users got.

I think if you honestly think you can break 170 on the re-take, then go for it. I'd start putting apps in now though since your numbers are solid admit at most schools. You can update with your new score later when it comes time for scholarship decisions.

Not the graphs - just generally with myLSN and looking at the percentages. I was just confused with the scholarship aspect of myLSN. If I'm reading it correctly, it says only 11% of people with my numbers get any scholarship money at all at Cornell. I wonder if I'm reading it right. Here's what I'm looking at: http://imageshack.us/a/img854/4866/8jap.png The numbers I put in were 3.88 - 3.94 GPA and 168 LSAT.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:20 pm

Otunga wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:Have you played around with the graphs on lsn? If you look at accepted students to Cornell with you numbers, you can see what kind of money the individual users got.

Not the graphs - just generally with myLSN and looking at the percentages. I was just confused with the scholarship aspect of myLSN. If I'm reading it correctly, it says only 11% of people with my numbers get any scholarship money at all at Cornell. I wonder if I'm reading it right. Here's what I'm looking at: http://imageshack.us/a/img854/4866/8jap.png The numbers I put in were 3.88 - 3.94 GPA and 168 LSAT.

Scholarship money on LSN is wonky because it seems like very few people report it, and people will also report in different ways (i.e. lump sum vs. yearly amounts). The only way to get a rough idea of what you'll get is to actually dig through the individual profiles.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:23 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:
Otunga wrote:

Scholarship money on LSN is wonky because it seems like very few people report it, and people will also report in different ways (i.e. lump sum vs. yearly amounts). The only way to get a rough idea of what you'll get is to actually dig through the individual profiles.

Thanks for saying this. I've really got to sort through all this stuff before officially signing up for a retake.

What do you guys think about EDing to BU? Everyone who gets in ED gets a full ride. Given my stated goals, it's at least worth some consideration. I think I much rather have Cornell though with a substantial scholarship. That 65% employment or around there for BU is scary.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”