Changing ED Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JDeezy

Bronze

Changing ED

Post by JDeezy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:26 pm

I applied ED to one school in September. Haven't heard from anywhere yet.

For various reasons, I'd rather go to another school now. Can I rescind that ED and ED to a new school?

ScottRiqui

Gold

Re: Changing ED

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:43 pm

First off, I'm assuming that "ED" means binding ED for all the schools you're talking about.

Contact your first school and ask if you can have your application moved from the ED pool to the RD pool. If they won't do that, then ask them about withdrawing the ED app. I haven't seen an ED contract that's worded in such a way that you're not allowed to withdraw your application *before* receiving a decision; your obligation to withdraw all other apps and attend doesn't kick in until you're accepted.

Trout et al

Bronze

Post by Trout et al » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:45 pm

You should be able to switch from ED-->RD on you outstanding app and apply ED somewhere else. I would double-check the specific ED rules for the schools your talking about first though, because some will not let you apply ED if you have already applied ED somewhere else. I am not sure if an actual decision would have had to be made on the first to preclude the second, however.

jwg6x6

New

Post by jwg6x6 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:00 pm

DO you think that changing your app from ed-->rd will lower your chances at getting accepted rd?

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:15 pm

jwg6x6 wrote:DO you think that changing your app from ed-->rd will lower your chances at getting accepted rd?
I don't think your chances would be any lower than someone who applied RD on the same day you switched your ED application to RD. Unless the adcomms decide to screw you out of spite for withdrawing your ED app, but I don't think that's something you can predict.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Harry Belafonte

New

Post by Harry Belafonte » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:07 pm

jwg6x6 wrote:DO you think that changing your app from ed-->rd will lower your chances at getting accepted rd?
I was in a similar position as you last cycle. I called the admissions office of the school I originally applied early decision to and politely asked if they could move my app to regular decision. They kindly obliged with no questions asked. I later asked another school to change my RD app to an ED app, which they also did no questions asked.

With regards to the outcomes, my numbers were at the medians of the first school I ED'd at, and even though I was worried that they may have taken my change of heart personally, I was still admitted. Its all numbers.

With regards to the second school I ED'd at, well, I'd rather not talk about that.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”