OU vs MU

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mrlawyer22

OU vs MU

Postby mrlawyer22 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:09 am

Mizzou accepted me 10 days after I submitted my application back in September. I know I will practice in Missouri. However, yesterday university of oklahoma called me up and accepted me. I haven't heard any scholarship news as I was at work and couldn't get into a huge discussion at the point, and by the time I called back they had left for the day. I visited oklahoma about a year ago and was impressed by their campus and just in general, it was pretty great. The material nicety of oklahoma's law school far surpasses Mizzou's which is a tad run down.
However, Mizzou offers an extraordinary in state tuition of about 15k. OU out of state is about 28k. Mizzou doesn't release scholarship information until January 15th. So it indeed may be even lower. I currently work at a mid size firm and will likely return there to clerk in law school and quite possibly as an associate after. All the attorney's I work for, the vast majority, went to Mizzou. However, our newest associate went to OU, but he is also the son of a founding partner and I am not sure it mattered where he went. Both schools are similarly ranked and I think the quality of education is about on the same level.
I was dead set on Mizzou, but I feel as though I need to give OU its due process and look into it. They do allow a summer start which appeals to me as I will be graduating early in december. I think if OU gives me in state tuition and allows me to start in the summer, then they will have surpassed Mizzou. I applied to other schools, but MU my main pick. I applied to Stanford and Yale but I doubt I get in honestly, they were just to reach for the stars.

I am curious to see what other people think

cotiger

Re: OU vs MU

Postby cotiger » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:15 am

mrlawyer22 wrote:I know I will practice in Missouri.

Then the answer should be clear.

Even disregarding studying where you want to practice (which really should be the primary consideration), Mizzou is cheaper for you and has slightly better employment stats. No-brainer for Missouri.

Also, this should be in "Choosing a law school".

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:44 am

There is no question that Missouri is the right choice over OU.

In general, any state flagship school is relatively the same as any other. Since you want to practice in MO, you need to go to Mizzou.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:54 am

Flame /thread

jwg6x6

Postby jwg6x6 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:29 am

deadpanic wrote:
In general, any state flagship school is relatively the same as any other.

This is very untrue

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:37 am

jwg6x6 wrote:
deadpanic wrote:
In general, any state flagship school is relatively the same as any other.

This is very untrue

Well, clearly Michigan or Virginia is not going to be the same as say, North Dakota. But for a lot of the small market flyover states, the education is going to be basically the same and you should go to the state school where you want to work. OU is not going to teach you much of anything different than MU.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Why would you even think about attending OU if you want to practice in Missouri? That makes absolutely no sense.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:13 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Why would you even think about attending OU if you want to practice in Missouri? That makes absolutely no sense.

d00d OU is ranked 123 while Missouri is 151

OU is also ranked 19th in Space Law while Missouri is only 27th in Beaver Law

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”