Miami at sticker

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ganja
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Miami at sticker

Postby ganja » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:39 pm

So I've heard the horror stories and UM at sticker is in no way gonna happen but I just wanted to hear if anybody on here has gone to UM at sticker and actually paid off the debt, found a lucrative enough job to pay said debt and is not a special snowflake. I just got the acceptance in the mail so I just wanted to know if there's any hope lol

User avatar
Gunnar Stahl
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:59 pm


ganja
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby ganja » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:50 pm

Ghost93 wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=miami

Actually not a bad bargain at a lower cost. But with the way the market is, I need to make this a conservative investment

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby goldeneye » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:13 pm

You can find people at Cooley who have managed to pay their debts off. The question should be what are the chances you can actually get a job and at Miami, it isn't high enough to justify full price.

IpleadtheFiF
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby IpleadtheFiF » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:17 pm

Copied from another thread:

AT9 wrote:If you get into Miami, you'll probably be paying sticker. And $150K in debt for Miami is probably a really dumb idea.


Get this thought of sticker out of your head. I know that you're anxious to go to law school and don't want to wait another cycle, but let me hit you with some numbers.

Your GPA is 3.81, which is excellent.
Your LSAT is ~150ish, which is cringe-worthy.
Since your GPA is well above Miami's 75th percentile, if you can boost your LSAT above their 75th percentile (160+), they will provide a hefty scholarship.
http://miami.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/1213

If someone was willing to pay you $75,000 to put in 100 hours of LSAT study time and wait a year (in which you would be able to continue working), would you accept? Because this is LITERALLY the case, with the hypothetical "someone" being the University of Miami Office of Financial Aid.

Edit: It is my personal opinion that you should not attend UM Law, but since you seem adamant upon practicing in Florida, the aforementioned plan is a way of reducing your potential debt load.
Last edited by IpleadtheFiF on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2094
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:18 pm

Study for the LSAT full time for an extended period of time and retake before doing this.

User avatar
crestor
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:37 am

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby crestor » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:47 am

Why not go to UF instead OP? Cheaper, higher ranked, and more prestige throughout the state. GL tho.

BigZuck
Posts: 10880
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby BigZuck » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:54 am

ganja wrote:So I've heard the horror stories and UM at sticker is in no way gonna happen but I just wanted to hear if anybody on here has gone to UM at sticker and actually paid off the debt, found a lucrative enough job to pay said debt and is not a special snowflake. I just got the acceptance in the mail so I just wanted to know if there's any hope lol


Doesn't matter lol

Retake

ganja
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby ganja » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:55 am

I am definitely considering a retake although time is not on my side. My parents were helping me out a lot when I was studying for it a few months but they're not so receptive to that idea now. But, where there's a will there's a way. I'm going to see what a few of the other schools offer and test the negotiation waters with UM and a few other schools and decide what I'm going to do then.

BigZuck
Posts: 10880
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby BigZuck » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:06 am

Just tell your parents BigZuck won't allow you to waste such a beautiful GPA on a TTT. They should understand. And if they don't then you don't need them in your life anyway.

But seriously though, yank the umbilical cord a bit and retake. Tell them BigZuck said their Boomerish outlook on life is suffocating you and retarding your growth as a human being and if they really do love you they will allow you to retake some dumb standardized test so that your life will not be inevitably ruined by soul-crushing debt. Just because they don't have a grip on reality doesn't mean you have to suffer for it.

But seriously though, retake. BigZuck said so. Listen to him.

ganja
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby ganja » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:16 am

BigZuck wrote:Just tell your parents BigZuck won't allow you to waste such a beautiful GPA on a TTT. They should understand. And if they don't then you don't need them in your life anyway.

But seriously though, yank the umbilical cord a bit and retake. Tell them BigZuck said their Boomerish outlook on life is suffocating you and retarding your growth as a human being and if they really do love you they will allow you to retake some dumb standardized test so that your life will not be inevitably ruined by soul-crushing debt. Just because they don't have a grip on reality doesn't mean you have to suffer for it.

But seriously though, retake. BigZuck said so. Listen to him.

LOL!

IpleadtheFiF
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby IpleadtheFiF » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:49 am

crestor wrote:Why not go to UF instead OP? Cheaper, higher ranked, and more prestige throughout the state.


I've been wondering this the whole time. I just assumed that Miami was closer to home for OP and he/she wouldn't have to worry about relocating his/her child. I bet it's a nightmare to search for a new home in a state with so many sex offenders.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby Nova » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:10 am

Stats > anecdotes

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby AT9 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:37 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=217751

Congrats on your acceptance!

However...

Based on your previous thread, it appears that you have a wife who can support you and your child through law school, correct? If so, I assume she would be willing to do the same if you could work part-time and study for a retake? It sounds like South FL is your home, where you want to stay, and that you don't want to move your family. That being the case, I don't think Miami is necessarily a horrible idea...but it probably is at sticker. Explain to your wife how getting a higher score (around or above their 75th) is worth more in scholarship money than you can expect to make right out of law school. Then study hard, retake, and go to Miami with a large scholarship.

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby Young Marino » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:10 pm

UM at sticker is not necessarily desirable but from speaking to a few recent grads and lawyers in the south florida market that didn't even attend UM, it's not as bad as people on here would have you think. UM is a very strong regional so if you're trying to stay in So. Fla it's really strong option and remember, there are programs out there that help with repayment such as IBR and PSLF 10 year forgiveness plan if you decide you want to go public sector. Not to mention, the South Florida market is starting to pick up although it's still in a fragile state. If you're c/o 2017/2018 you should have a much easier time finding employment in the region than a lost generation class of 2008-2011 grad. If you don't get top 10% and don't get biglaw, there are still ways to pay off your six figure debt.

BigZuck
Posts: 10880
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby BigZuck » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Young Marino wrote:UM at sticker is not necessarily desirable but from speaking to a few recent grads and lawyers in the south florida market that didn't even attend UM, it's not as bad as people on here would have you think. UM is a very strong regional so if you're trying to stay in So. Fla it's really strong option and remember, there are programs out there that help with repayment such as IBR and PSLF 10 year forgiveness plan if you decide you want to go public sector. Not to mention, the South Florida market is starting to pick up although it's still in a fragile state. If you're c/o 2017/2018 you should have a much easier time finding employment in the region than a lost generation class of 2008-2011 grad. If you don't get top 10% and don't get biglaw, there are still ways to pay off your six figure debt.


This is a bad post and you should feel bad. Telling someone that Miami at sticker is an ok decision is potentially life-ruiningly bad advice.

User avatar
JuTMSY4
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby JuTMSY4 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:10 pm

IpleadtheFiF wrote:Copied from another thread:

AT9 wrote:If someone was willing to pay you $75,000 to put in 100 hours of LSAT study time and wait a year (in which you would be able to continue working), would you accept? Because this is LITERALLY the case, with the hypothetical "someone" being the University of Miami Office of Financial Aid.


TITCR

User avatar
McAvoy
Posts: 1584
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby McAvoy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:12 pm

Don't do it.

Young Marino wants you to live a painful, lonely, and impoverished life (with all respect, YM).

I'm having a hard time seeing Vanderbilt and UCLA at half price as prudent options. Retake until you hit the mid 160s, at the least, then try again.

User avatar
Gooner91
Posts: 1376
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby Gooner91 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Young Marino wrote:UM at sticker is not necessarily desirable but from speaking to a few recent grads and lawyers in the south florida market that didn't even attend UM, it's not as bad as people on here would have you think. UM is a very strong regional so if you're trying to stay in So. Fla it's really strong option and remember, there are programs out there that help with repayment such as IBR and PSLF 10 year forgiveness plan if you decide you want to go public sector. Not to mention, the South Florida market is starting to pick up although it's still in a fragile state. If you're c/o 2017/2018 you should have a much easier time finding employment in the region than a lost generation class of 2008-2011 grad. If you don't get top 10% and don't get biglaw, there are still ways to pay off your six figure debt.


How easy is it to get a PSLF eligible job as a UM grad?

User avatar
PepperJack
Posts: 646
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby PepperJack » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Have any men 5"3 or shorter made it to the NBA? Everyone says being a 300 pound little person makes a basketball career unlikely, but if one person did it then I can also do it.

User avatar
The Dark Kite
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 2:19 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby The Dark Kite » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:17 am

Here are some things that I love:

PepperJack wrote:Have any men 5"3 or shorter made it to the NBA? Everyone says being a 300 pound little person makes a basketball career unlikely, but if one person did it then I can also do it.

IpleadtheFiF wrote:If someone was willing to pay you $75,000 to put in 100 hours of LSAT study time and wait a year (in which you would be able to continue working), would you accept? Because this is LITERALLY the case, with the hypothetical "someone" being the University of Miami Office of Financial Aid.


I agree 100% with both sentiments. Honestly, it reminds me of a friend I know who is always like "OH WOW, A FAMOUS PERSON IN MY INDUSTRY WHO HAS THE SAME MAJOR AS ME... I CAN DO IT TOO," when in actuality the odds of being that person are like 1:1,000,000.

Is it POSSIBLE? Ya. You could even score big law. You could also even be the president. But that never makes it worth the investment. We come from an "anything is possible" generation but that doesn't mean that everything will be possible.

If I had your GPA, I'd absolutely sit out another year and retake for a 170+ and go T14. But I don't. So I'm trying to live vicariously through you. So make a good decision for you.

...Make a good decision for us.

User avatar
PepperJack
Posts: 646
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby PepperJack » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:41 pm

I will also say that the people who make crap law schools pan out are the type of assertive go getters who wouldn't be bullied by their mommies into making these terrible choices to begin with.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby midwest17 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Did Young Marino just necro a two-month old thread to recommend Miami at sticker?

HYSenberg
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby HYSenberg » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:04 pm

midwest17 wrote:Did Young Marino just necro a two-month old thread to recommend Miami at sticker?

I think he is planning to matriculate there.

User avatar
vicpin5190
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Miami at sticker

Postby vicpin5190 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:48 am

midwest17 wrote:Did Young Marino just necro a two-month old thread to recommend Miami at sticker?



this is fantastic imagery




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, Bing [Bot], echonov, Google [Bot], shineoncrazydiamond, zot1 and 4 guests