PhD student considering law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
M4000

PhD student considering law school

Postby M4000 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:19 pm

Hello all, I'm currently a PhD student in the life sciences at USC. One career path I've been thinking about is patent law. However, my undergrad GPA stinks (3.18 from UC Irvine). I got into USC by having good research experience and letters of rec. My understanding is that grad school GPA doesn't matter very much for law school admissions. I'm good at standardized tests but I haven't even looked at the LSAT at all, so I couldn't tell you what I'd score on it. My feeling is I could easily score in the 160s, possibly 170s. I've done some research, and found that many patent attorneys work at a law firm (after passing the patent bar), while going to law school part time. What is your opinion on my situation and this career? Would I even be able to get into a good law school? Also I'm a URM (Mexican American). Thanks!

KD35

Re: PhD student considering law school

Postby KD35 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:40 pm

Being a URM will definitely help a lot. Check out mylsn.info for some good intro info regarding numbers. But you are correct, it matters a lot what the U-GPA is, not nearly as much grad GPA.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:16 pm

1. As regards getting into law school, I put it 3.1-3.3 LSDAS uGPA, 160-180 LSAT, and URM only into LSN and found this:

http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... jor=&state[state_s]=Any&location_s=Any&location=&race_s=Any&race=&sex=Any&international=Included&urm=Included&nontr=Included&mlast=Included&commit=Search+Applicants

(that should give you a decent idea of your chances at various law schools...but in short, yes should be able to get into a good one if you get in the upper 160s and definitely if you break 170)

2. As regards your career plan, my impression from talking to practicing attorneys and looking at law firms' websites is that patent attorneys with PhDs are in very high demand. For instance, look at the attorneys in the patent department of MoFo, one of the top firms in the country for patent work...the attorneys seem not to have attended as prestigious of law schools as their counterparts in litigation and corporate: http://www.mofo.com/patent-counseling-- ... ls&ajax=no

But you should talk to practicing patent attorneys to see if it's something you'd like. Also I'm a 0L and don't know anything, so take what I say with a grain of salt (or several grains of salt).

EDIT: That link didn't seem to work, but I'm sure you can figure out how to work LSN yourself.

M4000

Postby M4000 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:02 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:2. As regards your career plan, my impression from talking to practicing attorneys and looking at law firms' websites is that patent attorneys with PhDs are in very high demand. For instance, look at the attorneys in the patent department of MoFo, one of the top firms in the country for patent work...the attorneys seem not to have attended as prestigious of law schools as their counterparts in litigation and corporate: http://www.mofo.com/patent-counseling-- ... ls&ajax=no

But you should talk to practicing patent attorneys to see if it's something you'd like. Also I'm a 0L and don't know anything, so take what I say with a grain of salt (or several grains of salt).

Many soon to be patent attorneys attend law school part time while working for a firm. My guess is that most schools that offer part-time in the evenings/weekends are lower ranked?

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:11 am

M4000 wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:2. As regards your career plan, my impression from talking to practicing attorneys and looking at law firms' websites is that patent attorneys with PhDs are in very high demand. For instance, look at the attorneys in the patent department of MoFo, one of the top firms in the country for patent work...the attorneys seem not to have attended as prestigious of law schools as their counterparts in litigation and corporate: http://www.mofo.com/patent-counseling-- ... ls&ajax=no

Many soon to be patent attorneys attend law school part time while working for a firm. My guess is that most schools that offer part-time in the evenings/weekends are lower ranked?

Georgetown is the only T14 law school to have part-time program. In the rest of the T50, there are only 3 others. Seeing as you don't currently have a (paid) full-time job anyway, you might just as well shoot for the best school you can get into even if they have no part-time program.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”