is a diversity statement necessary

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mermaidprincess92

is a diversity statement necessary

Postby mermaidprincess92 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:35 pm

My personal statement mostly revolves around my ethnic background and how that influenced me for law school, so is a diversity statement still a good idea or would it be repetitive and end up hurting me?

BentleyLittle

Re: is a diversity statement necessary

Postby BentleyLittle » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:40 pm

I don't think writing another statement on your ethnic identity would be useful. However, if you can write up a DS on some other aspect of yourself that would bring diversity to the class (age, geographic diversity, socio-economic status, etc.) I'd say go for it.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:54 pm

DSs are never necessary.

If your PS is a big DS then there's not really a point to be repetitive. I doubt being repetitive would hurt you in any significant way though.

Bentley's idea is good

sillymike

Postby sillymike » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:06 pm

does the idea that it's not necessary still apply if you're a splitter or supersplitter and trying to punch way above your numbers? I have heard that the advice for splitters is to do all extra essays

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:15 pm

Semantics, but necessary = required . Optional essays are never required.

[Imo] everyone should write extra essays if their topic is legit and their writing appears sincere.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:32 pm

Nova wrote:DSs are never necessary.

If your PS is a big DS then there's not really a point to be repetitive. I doubt being repetitive would hurt you in any significant way though.

Bentley's idea is good

I'd go the other way - use your current PS as a diversity essay, and come up with another topic for a personal statement.

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:40 pm

bp shinners wrote:

Bentley's idea is good

I'd go the other way - use your current PS as a diversity essay, and come up with another topic for a personal statement.

Aren't DS supposed to be short though, a page at the most? I imagine that in some instances cutting down a PS to make it a DS would hurt the quality of the work.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:22 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:
bp shinners wrote:

Bentley's idea is good

Aren't DS supposed to be short though, a page at the most? I imagine that in some instances cutting down a PS to make it a DS would hurt the quality of the work.

1.5 would be the limit I'd suggest for a DS. And I think almost every essay I've ever read would have been better with half a page (or more) cut from it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”