4.0 University GPA and 3.38 LSAC GPA - Advice Needed! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
october

New

4.0 University GPA and 3.38 LSAC GPA - Advice Needed!

Post by october » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:05 am

message deleted
Last edited by october on Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Re: 4.0 University GPA and 3.38 LSAC GPA - Advice Needed!

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:36 am

: (

Harry Belafonte

New

Post by Harry Belafonte » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:40 am

You have nothing to lose by contacting the student services of your overseas university and seeing if they are willing to help you mitigate the damage these Fs are doing.

I would try it, because otherwise you're basically stuck. Try to make peace with your new GPA and do your best on the LSAT.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Bronze

Post by AnonymousAlterEgoC » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:44 am

An addendum will help, but adcomms have their hands tied because the number for the rankings is the cumulative number. As far as predictor goes, you're probably safe to use a number like 3.5, but that's hard to say. Score well on the LSAT and you can still go T6 but not T3 (unless you're a URM).

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:54 am

Have you actually had LSAC calculate your GPA, or just done it yourself? I don't want to raise your hopes, but I know that the way LSAC handles international transcripts is odd. It's possible that those grades won't affect your LSAC GPA.

I'd recommend calling LSAC and asking them, and if you can't get a straight answer then just pay for CAS and send in your transcripts. It's good for 5 years, even if you aren't planning on applying this cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:33 am

You actually may be okay as long as this country wasn't Canada.

october

New

Post by october » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:12 pm

midwest17 wrote:Have you actually had LSAC calculate your GPA, or just done it yourself? I don't want to raise your hopes, but I know that the way LSAC handles international transcripts is odd. It's possible that those grades won't affect your LSAC GPA.

I'd recommend calling LSAC and asking them, and if you can't get a straight answer then just pay for CAS and send in your transcripts. It's good for 5 years, even if you aren't planning on applying this cycle.
Midwest, I haven't sent in my transcripts yet, I just calculated the above GPA by myself. I'm gonna call LSAC later today and see what they say about my situation.

october

New

Post by october » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:16 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:You actually may be okay as long as this country wasn't Canada.
The university wasn't located in Canada, it was in Asia. Do the rules differ from country to country?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:55 pm

october wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:You actually may be okay as long as this country wasn't Canada.
The university wasn't located in Canada, it was in Asia. Do the rules differ from country to country?
No, it's more of an "everywhere but Canada" thing.

The good news is, you are almost definitely "safe" from a 3.38 as long as a US institution didn't award you those grades. You'll potentially get a bad rating on your foreign undergrad work, but that's easily fixed with an addendum. For all purposes (minus Y/S), you'll have an LSAC 4.0. Probably.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

october

New

Post by october » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:26 pm

UPDATE: "twentypercentmore" was correct, I just talked to a LSAC representative and they told me that my overseas course grades would NOT be considered in my LSAC undergrad GPA, however, admission committees will be able to see these grades in my application. So essentially my LSAC GPA will be 3.95 with a really crappy overseas record, which will be explained through an addendum. I'll definitely take that over a 3.38.

Thank you for all your responses everyone, I really appreciate them.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:54 pm

Congrats man.

I would go crazy if I had a near perfect GPA dropped to 3.38.

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:10 pm

I have a friend who took some online courses through some random institution and somehow those grades came through an overseas university, even though the online college was technically in the U.S. He was sure that the few Fs were going to sink his GPA, so he was sure he'd have to apply outside the T20. They didn't count those grades. He's at a T6 now.

CAS can be pretty random sometimes.

ganja

New

Post by ganja » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:38 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:: (
The doc has spoken, bro.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:42 pm

Happy for you

hcrimson2014

Bronze

Post by hcrimson2014 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:17 am

twentypercentmore wrote:
october wrote:

The good news is, you are almost definitely "safe" from a 3.38 as long as a US institution didn't award you those grades. You'll potentially get a bad rating on your foreign undergrad work, but that's easily fixed with an addendum. For all purposes (minus Y/S), you'll have an LSAC 4.0. Probably.

Coming from Canada, may I ask you to elaborate on this "everywhere but Canada" thing? thanks

2x2Matrix

Bronze

Post by 2x2Matrix » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:58 pm

hcrimson2014 wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:
october wrote:

Coming from Canada, may I ask you to elaborate on this "everywhere but Canada" thing? thanks
CAS converts Canadian transcripts with the same scale it converts US transcripts (on the 4.33 scale). Any other international transcript is not summarized on this scale.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”