family information on application - required for need aid?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hukchobo
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:47 am

family information on application - required for need aid?

Postby hukchobo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:12 am

hey guys, quick question

it seems most applications have a 'family' section in them and i was wondering if there would be any negative effects on my application if i didn't write down my parents' information. they're both non citizens and the apps usually say their information is not required.
i assume it might have something to do with need based aid (which i need) but not entirely sure.

thanks

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: family information on application - required for need aid?

Postby cotiger » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:57 am

hukchobo wrote:hey guys, quick question

it seems most applications have a 'family' section in them and i was wondering if there would be any negative effects on my application if i didn't write down my parents' information. they're both non citizens and the apps usually say their information is not required.
i assume it might have something to do with need based aid (which i need) but not entirely sure.

thanks


In all likelihood (unless you go to YHS) you won't be receiving need aid no matter who you are.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: family information on application - required for need aid?

Postby guano » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:34 am

cotiger wrote:
hukchobo wrote:hey guys, quick question

it seems most applications have a 'family' section in them and i was wondering if there would be any negative effects on my application if i didn't write down my parents' information. they're both non citizens and the apps usually say their information is not required.
i assume it might have something to do with need based aid (which i need) but not entirely sure.

thanks


In all likelihood (unless you go to YHS) you won't be receiving need aid no matter who you are.

This is a fallacy. Many schools still have some need based aid. However, it's usually reduced by any merit aid received, and merit aid can be much higher. Realistically, if it's not a T14, if the merit aid doesn't exceed need aid, the COA is probably too high

hukchobo
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:47 am

Re: family information on application - required for need aid?

Postby hukchobo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:26 pm

thx for the comments

any other disadvantages for not inputting parents' info?

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: family information on application - required for need aid?

Postby guano » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:27 pm

hukchobo wrote:thx for the comments

any other disadvantages for not inputting parents' info?

Why won't you put it in?

hukchobo
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:47 am

Re: family information on application - required for need aid?

Postby hukchobo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:29 pm

guano wrote:
hukchobo wrote:thx for the comments

any other disadvantages for not inputting parents' info?

Why won't you put it in?



no big reason just don't feel completely comfortable

User avatar
iamgeorgebush
Posts: 851
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: family information on application - required for need aid?

Postby iamgeorgebush » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:33 pm

The extent to which you feel comfortable should not guide how you fill out your law school application.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: family information on application - required for need aid?

Postby guano » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:57 pm

hukchobo wrote:
guano wrote:
hukchobo wrote:thx for the comments

any other disadvantages for not inputting parents' info?

Why won't you put it in?



no big reason just don't feel completely comfortable

What are you hiding?

(If you have nothing to hide, you'd provide the information)

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: family information on application - required for need aid?

Postby wealtheow » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:16 pm

I have researched this extensively. Check individual websites. Generally, schools say up-front that you will not be eligible for anything other than federal aid (read: loans) if you do not provide your parental tax information. Whether this is fair or not has no bearing on anything, unfortunately. If you have a compelling reason to omit the info, send a petition for waiver of parent info; most schools review these, but it is entirely at their discretion as to whether they grant the waiver. I promise you simply not feeling like it is not a scenario they will entertain.

edited to note: some schools do not require the info if you will be turning 29 before you enter school. not sure if this applies to you but just an fyi.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: onlyhere4fun and 4 guests