deleted

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gottago

deleted

Postby gottago » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:33 pm

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

FluffMonster

Re: LOR writer holding up app

Postby FluffMonster » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:48 pm

Literally had this exact same problem with both of my recommenders. If he said that he'll get it in by X day, then you just need to go speak with him again. Maybe go to office hours instead of mentioning it after class?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:54 pm

It's not even Halloween. Slow your roll and don't annoy your LOR writers. Give him another couple of days before you bother him again. If he hasn't written it yet, do you really want him writing it with his most recent memories of you being you neurotically bugging the shit out of him?

gottago

deleted

Postby gottago » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:15 am

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:19 am

gottago wrote:he said he'll do it last week
then he said he'll have it in by last weekend
then when I met him in person on Tues, he said he'll submit it by the end of Wednesday

I'm thinking about resending the lsac.org link, then sending an email saying "in case the other one expired or you can't find it"

or is that too passive aggressive? cus this is ridiculous. I broke a serious sweat getting a paper into him recently, didn't even proofread it, because I didn't want him to address tardiness in his LOR

LOL @ bolded. Give him more time, it sounds like you asked him to do it last week and he hasn't gotten around to it? That isn't nearly long enough for your bugging him about it to seem reasonable.

edit: after reading your second comment, I change my mind. You should contact him. The worst that can happen is he finds it annoying and writes a letter with deliberately opaque insincerity that taints your application and hurts your chances at your school of choice.
Last edited by McGruff on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:24 am

gottago wrote:yea it's not halloween yet but JS1s have already gone out and I want to know where I stand before christmas.

This isn't the first time I've asked him for a rec. He wrote one 2 years ago. I've been in touch with him since the spring about this.

Shouldn't the last thing in his mind be how he went back on his word three times?

"last week"
"over the weekend"
"by wednesday"

I'm thinking about sending an email that says this

"dear prof x, as you may recall from our meeting weeks ago, I plan to submit by date X so that it may be in time for school Y to do Z. I have re-sent the link in case the reason you have not submitted yet is that the link i sent you weeks ago has expired, or you cannot find it in your inbox. When do you think you can submit it by? Please remember that thoroughness is critical, so please do not let an informal deadline compromise the letter's quality"

You think the "polite" anger is just seething in this email?

I tried to go to his "office hours" today but he wasn't there. I also can't make it to his hours later this week.

If I got an email with that last sentence ("thoroughness is critical"), I would not be inclined to write that person a good letter.

gottago

deleted

Postby gottago » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:30 am

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:47 am

gottago wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
gottago wrote:yea it's not halloween yet but JS1s have already gone out and I want to know where I stand before christmas.

This isn't the first time I've asked him for a rec. He wrote one 2 years ago. I've been in touch with him since the spring about this.

Shouldn't the last thing in his mind be how he went back on his word three times?

"last week"
"over the weekend"
"by wednesday"

I'm thinking about sending an email that says this

"dear prof x, as you may recall from our meeting weeks ago, I plan to submit by date X so that it may be in time for school Y to do Z. I have re-sent the link in case the reason you have not submitted yet is that the link i sent you weeks ago has expired, or you cannot find it in your inbox. When do you think you can submit it by? Please remember that thoroughness is critical, so please do not let an informal deadline compromise the letter's quality"

You think the "polite" anger is just seething in this email?

I tried to go to his "office hours" today but he wasn't there. I also can't make it to his hours later this week.

If I got an email with that last sentence ("thoroughness is critical"), I would not be inclined to write that person a good letter.

thoroughness is more important than earliness. is that better?

No, you still sound like a presumptuous little shit.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”