College GPA and LSAC GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
riku33090

College GPA and LSAC GPA

Postby riku33090 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:41 am

Okay, so LSAC just received my transcript, I did not know that LSAC GPA and College GPA mean could have THAT big of difference but now I know. The GPA showed on my transcript is 3.09 but LSAC is 2.98.

So my question is should I be freaking out that I have a sub 3.0 GPA?
(If so, what are some options I have? Can I take some classes at local CC?)

Or it doesn't really matter if i killed the LSAT(173+).

Thank you. Forgot to mention I just graduated back in June.

Ramius

Re: College GPA and LSAC GPA

Postby Ramius » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:50 am

You graduated, so your GPA is what it is. There is no sense in worrying about it now. Focus on killing the LSAT if you haven't done so already. With a higher LSAT, you could get some quality bites in T14-world, namely NU, UVA, and GULC. Don't expect much by way of scholly at these, but acceptances aren't a lost cause.

Also consider strong regionals where you have ties, cause they might shell out cash for that LSAT.

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:30 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:You graduated, so your GPA is what it is. There is no sense in worrying about it now. Focus on killing the LSAT if you haven't done so already. With a higher LSAT, you could get some quality bites in T14-world, namely NU, UVA, and GULC. Don't expect much by way of scholly at these, but acceptances aren't a lost cause.

Also consider strong regionals where you have ties, cause they might shell out cash for that LSAT.

Yea i understand my GPA is set but I heard that some school wouldn't even consider sub 3.0 GPA applicants. Should I be worried that I have a 2.98?

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:38 pm

riku33090 wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:You graduated, so your GPA is what it is. There is no sense in worrying about it now. Focus on killing the LSAT if you haven't done so already. With a higher LSAT, you could get some quality bites in T14-world, namely NU, UVA, and GULC. Don't expect much by way of scholly at these, but acceptances aren't a lost cause.

Yea i understand my GPA is set but I heard that some school wouldn't even consider sub 3.0 GPA applicants. Should I be worried that I have a 2.98?

Last year Northwestern accepted 13/16=81% of RD applicants on LSN with 170+ and sub-3.0. A good number of them got some money as well.

GULC and UVA are also possible in the T14, though NU is by far your best bet, both in terms of acceptance and money.

Outside the T14 you also have some options depending on what region you want, as many decent schools would love that LSAT. For example, WUSTL took 13/13, offering 12 of those 13 money at an average of 100k.

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:38 pm

cotiger wrote:
riku33090 wrote:

Last year Northwestern accepted 13/16=81% of RD applicants on LSN with 170+ and sub-3.0. A good number of them got some money as well.

GULC and UVA are also possible in the T14, though NU is by far your best bet, both in terms of acceptance and money.

Outside the T14 you also have some options depending on what region you want, as many decent schools would love that LSAT. For example, WUSTL took 13/13, offering 12 of those 13 money at an average of 100k.

Thanks. I will definitely consider those school, hopefully I can somehow get into NYU.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:49 pm

riku33090 wrote:
cotiger wrote:
riku33090 wrote:

Thanks. I will definitely consider those school, hopefully I can somehow get into NYU.

Over the last 10 years on LSN not a single applicant has gotten into NYU with a sub-3.0 GPA. So good luck with that.

Edited: just realized you probably meant NU.
Last edited by cotiger on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:52 pm

riku33090 wrote:
cotiger wrote:
riku33090 wrote:

I can't say for sure, but I'd bet money on those NU students having substantial work experience.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:11 pm

bp shinners wrote:I can't say for sure, but I'd bet money on those NU students having substantial work experience.

I think these days a year qualifies as substantial for NU. OP already graduated so as long as he can show he's working somewhere I imagine he'll do alright.

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:39 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
bp shinners wrote:I can't say for sure, but I'd bet money on those NU students having substantial work experience.

I think these days a year qualifies as substantial for NU. OP already graduated so as long as he can show he's working somewhere I imagine he'll do alright.

Yea i been working while studying, but i REALLY want to get into NYU, or any of the New York BIg 3.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:50 pm

riku33090 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Yea i been working while studying, but i REALLY want to get into NYU, or any of the New York BIg 3.

I don't know what the third school is in the big 3. Cornell? Historically they've been somewhat GPA-centric. You're better off shooting for Penn, given that it has slightly better BigLaw placement, is closer to New York City, and seems more willing to dip down to your GPA. NYU is a possibility but it will take a big time LSAT score.

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:13 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
riku33090 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

I don't know what the third school is in the big 3. Cornell? Historically they've been somewhat GPA-centric. You're better off shooting for Penn, given that it has slightly better BigLaw placement, is closer to New York City, and seems more willing to dip down to your GPA. NYU is a possibility but it will take a big time LSAT score.

Thanks for the advice, and yes i was referring to Cornell. I just want to live in a big metropolitan city like New York because I been living in Orange County for most of my life.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:38 am

riku33090 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
riku33090 wrote:Yea i been working while studying, but i REALLY want to get into NYU, or any of the New York BIg 3.

Thanks for the advice, and yes i was referring to Cornell. I just want to live in a big metropolitan city like New York because I been living in Orange County for most of my life.

Cornell is in Ithaca, NY (pop. 30,000). Northwestern (NU) is in Chicago (pop. 2.7 million). I think you need to do a little more research before you make any major life decisions.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:58 am

LOL Ithaca is about 4 hours away from the city, in the middle of nowhere... Your literally as far from NYC as you are from Toronto.

jordan15

Postby jordan15 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:07 am

Cornell is in Ithaca, which may be the smallest city that houses a T14, and probably the most isolated as well. It's a 5 hr drive from NYC, and while there are some buses and inexpensive flights to and from, it's hardly convenient.

Northwestern and Georgetown are both located in large metropolitan cities and assuming you score above 173 you have a great chance at both.

UVA and WUSTL are also possible, though not in huge cities.

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:40 am

jordan15 wrote:Cornell is in Ithaca, which may be the smallest city that houses a T14, and probably the most isolated as well. It's a 5 hr drive from NYC, and while there are some buses and inexpensive flights to and from, it's hardly convenient.

Northwestern and Georgetown are both located in large metropolitan cities and assuming you score above 173 you have a great chance at both.

UVA and WUSTL are also possible, though not in huge cities.

Wow okay, I know Cornell is in Ithaca, I just didn't know it was THATfar away from NYC

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:08 am

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but with a sub 3, all three of those NY schools are out. NU is a solid school in a city, and you have a great shot with a killer lsat though.

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:42 am

Clearly wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but with a sub 3, all three of those NY schools are out. NU is a solid school in a city, and you have a great shot with a killer lsat though.

Sigh... it sucks to have a 2.98. Just one B+ instead of B would of push me over 3.0. But honestly, I really didn't expect my GPA to drop from college (3.09) to LSAC (2.98).

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:48 am

Clearly wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but with a sub 3, all three of those NY schools are out. NU is a solid school in a city, and you have a great shot with a killer lsat though.

Also forgot to mention that my GPA was on a upward trend.
2009-10 2010-11 2011-12 2012-13
GPA 2.48 3.02 3.24 3.23
Cum. Across GPA 2.48 2.76 2.91 2.98

jordan15

Postby jordan15 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:00 am

A 3.09 wouldn't have really made much of a difference. And while your mild upward trend is nice, it's not enough to make up for your GPA. Usually when people talk about upward trend they are talking about a year of Fs followed by straight As. Ending on a 3.2 isn't good.

You might as well apply to your dream school though. If you really rock the LSAT, it's possible you could get WL'd and if you're willing to ride out the WL into August you could sneak in. You never know.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:21 am

You might as well apply to your dream school though. If you really rock the LSAT, it's possible you could get WL'd and if you're willing to ride out the WL into August you could sneak in. You never know.

Absolutely this. Don't self-ding unless your dream school is numerically impossible. With a 173+ LSAT, you really never know until you apply. Get the rest of your app as shiny and polished as possible and just see what happens. You're below everywhere's 25th, so just assume they'll see your 2.98 as "basically 3.0" and let them decide if you're a good candidate.

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:27 am

matthewsean85 wrote:

Absolutely this. Don't self-ding unless your dream school is numerically impossible. With a 173+ LSAT, you really never know until you apply. Get the rest of your app as shiny and polished as possible and just see what happens. You're below everywhere's 25th, so just assume they'll see your 2.98 as "basically 3.0" and let them decide if you're a good candidate.

Thanks guys really appreciate the advices.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”