Critique my Resume please!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
meegee

Critique my Resume please!

Postby meegee » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:15 pm

EDIT: Thanks for the advice guys, I've made some major revisions to my resume. I've taken the link down because I don't want my info floating out there. Once again, thank you all!
Last edited by meegee on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rinkrat19

Re: Critique my Resume please!

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:25 pm

You absolutely need contact info on a resume. Non-negotiable.

Put Education first. (This is an academic resume.)
Put Honors in the Education section.
Remove the computer/OS skills.
Add a personal interests line.

Your job descriptions are a little problematic. You've got multiple bullet points within each bullet point. Edit those down to 3-4 single-line bullet points per job.

Are the Phone-A-Thon and Democratic Party jobs volunteer? If so, put them in a separate section or make it clear that they are.

It is possible to fit six jobs and contact info on one page.

rinkrat19 wrote:Here's my current resume, genericized and redacted. Red is stuff that has been added since starting law school. The resume I applied to law school with was basically the same design before cramming the new stuff in, except with more relaxed spacing. There may have been a third bullet point under the older jobs.

meegee

Postby meegee » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestions rinkrat, I will put my contact info back in.
Ken's guide said to put work experience before academic if you are no longer in school: "If you are no longer in school, work should come first." Should I put my academic stuff first, or should I keep the work experience before? I'll also merge my honors/activities with my education part.

I will edit my job description and shorten them. I'll also remove that useless line about computer/os.

Is it necessary to include a personal interests section? Will they actually care?

I will also make a separate header for Internships. My internships include the Democratic Party volunteer work and my internship with Box Solutions. The Phonathon was a campus job.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:17 pm

meegee wrote:Thanks for the suggestions rinkrat, I will put my contact info back in.
Ken's guide said to put work experience before academic if you are no longer in school: "If you are no longer in school, work should come first." Should I put my academic stuff first, or should I keep the work experience before? I'll also merge my honors/activities with my education part.

I will edit my job description and shorten them. I'll also remove that useless line about computer/os.

Is it necessary to include a personal interests section? Will they actually care?

I will also make a separate header for Internships. My internships include the Democratic Party volunteer work and my internship with Box Solutions. The Phonathon was a campus job.

No offense, but I think Ken's advice applies more to people who've had a substantial career, not a year in an entry-level job. Your list of school honors is more impressive at first glance than your work experience.

I would also remove the software skills line. Photoshop and Office are common (Office is pretty much assumed these days) and the fundraiser one isn't particularly relevant.

The Personal Interests line isn't 100% required for law school admissions, but it is expected at the legal hiring stage, so you might as well get your resume in the proper form now. You should be more specific with the moves/reading/music items if you are going to include them. e.g. Spy novels, film noir, and classic rock. It's more interesting and less generic.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:58 pm

I second getting rid of the second skills line. No one will care if you can use those programs. I also think you can compress your descriptions further and change it to a larger font. It looks crowded and it doesn't seem to be for a very good reason (like substantial work experience).

blink

Postby blink » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:12 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
meegee wrote:Thanks for the suggestions rinkrat, I will put my contact info back in.

No offense, but I think Ken's advice applies more to people who've had a substantial career, not a year in an entry-level job. Your list of school honors is more impressive at first glance than your work experience.

I would also remove the software skills line. Photoshop and Office are common (Office is pretty much assumed these days) and the fundraiser one isn't particularly relevant.

The Personal Interests line isn't 100% required for law school admissions, but it is expected at the legal hiring stage, so you might as well get your resume in the proper form now. You should be more specific with the moves/reading/music items if you are going to include them. e.g. Spy novels, film noir, and classic rock. It's more interesting and less generic.

What about if the work experience is prestigious, yet only for a few years? Still put it below education?

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:12 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:You absolutely need contact info on a resume. Non-negotiable.

Put Education first. (This is an academic resume.)
Put Honors in the Education section.
Remove the computer/OS skills.
Add a personal interests line.

Your job descriptions are a little problematic. You've got multiple bullet points within each bullet point. Edit those down to 3-4 single-line bullet points per job.

Are the Phone-A-Thon and Democratic Party jobs volunteer? If so, put them in a separate section or make it clear that they are.

It is possible to fit six jobs and contact info on one page.

rinkrat19 wrote:Here's my current resume, genericized and redacted. Red is stuff that has been added since starting law school. The resume I applied to law school with was basically the same design before cramming the new stuff in, except with more relaxed spacing. There may have been a third bullet point under the older jobs.

Expensive school of law lol

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:19 pm

john1990 wrote:Expensive school of law lol
Only the 4th most expensive. Lucky me.

2x2Matrix

Postby 2x2Matrix » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:46 am

blink wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

What about if the work experience is prestigious, yet only for a few years? Still put it below education?

If it's banking/consulting/high tech, you can probably go either way and it won't make a difference

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”