what t-14 schools will dip around 3.0 for a 170+ lsat?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sillymike

what t-14 schools will dip around 3.0 for a 170+ lsat?

Postby sillymike » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:33 pm

i think we all know that NU, GULC, maybe UVA will dip around/under 3.0 for a 170+ lsat.

Given the medians this year, what other schools will go around a 3.0 for a non-urm? I feel like all schools might for like some supersoft olympian, but what schools might give an average-to-above-average applicant a second look this cycle? Anyone seem like they are starting to value high lsat scores more and more? for example, I was surprised that some people are suggesting that other people ED nyu with a sub 3.0/172+, but it seems that they might be gunning for the lsat median this cycle. Any other thoughts on other schools, OR just general related discussion? which schools care about ED, which schools are definitely out for a 3.0, etc?

Of course, this will be pure conjecture on everyone's part, but I feel like the hive mind as a whole has a pretty good grasp on the law school environment, more so than the general population and definitely more so than just me.

I'd love to hear your educated guesses. Mostly interested in the top-14 but people have been really into this mythical "top-20" lately so i'd also be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on those schools, too.

Full disclaimer: This post, while it might be interesting and helpful to a lot of people, is mostly selfish as I'm trying to figure out ED/app strategy.

Thanks all!
Last edited by sillymike on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McGruff

Re: what t-14 schools will dip below 3.0 for a 172+ lsat?

Postby McGruff » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:07 pm

You already know the three with a track record of doing it non-anomalously, so you probably know that once in a while Penn does, and looking at LSN for the past couple cycles, there are a few outliers for a handful of other schools, but nothing constituting a pattern.

I appreciate that you're looking to find out what schools are going to do this cycle, especially since applicant pool shifts have become more acute, but really other than last cycle's LSN data, there isn't a lot to go on. This thread is a good read, in addition to this one.

I know you want to hear someone knowledgable say "given trends X, Y, and Z in the applicant pool, you've got a shot at [insert school you wouldn't have had a shot at last year]!" but no one really knows. Tidy up your apps, dot every i and cross every t, send 'em out to as many schools as you afford and can justify hoping for, and best of luck. I hope that doesn't come off as dickish, I say that's what you want because I'm in the same boat and, frankly, that's what I want.

ETA- as far as "Top 20" stuff, UT dips sup 3.0, Vandy does but is more likely to waitlist, obviously WUSTL, but I'm just getting that from LSN. I'm expecting waitlists o' plenty.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:40 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:37 am

McGruff wrote:ETA- as far as "Top 20" stuff, UT dips sup 3.0, Vandy does but is more likely to waitlist, obviously WUSTL, but I'm just getting that from LSN. I'm expecting waitlists o' plenty.

The available data indicates that UT is much less splitter-friendly than Vandy.

jordan15

Postby jordan15 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:59 am

Since 172 is not above the 75% for most (any??) top schools, I assume the answer would be different than 176+.

It would also make a difference if your GPA was low because you got a year of Fs, took awhile off and went back to get straight As instead of being a C average student

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:38 am

jordan15 wrote:Since 172 is not above the 75% for most (any??) top schools, I assume the answer would be different than 176+.

It would also make a difference if your GPA was low because you got a year of Fs, took awhile off and went back to get straight As instead of being a C average student

172 is above every 75th outside the YSHCCN.

Not that it really matters since 75ths don't affect usnwr

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:55 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
McGruff wrote:ETA- as far as "Top 20" stuff, UT dips sup 3.0, Vandy does but is more likely to waitlist, obviously WUSTL, but I'm just getting that from LSN. I'm expecting waitlists o' plenty.

The available data indicates that UT is much less splitter-friendly than Vandy.

Just checked and you're totally right, not sure what made me think otherwise. My bad.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”