left job in june to travel for a year (put anywhere on app?) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
barbados2012

New

left job in june to travel for a year (put anywhere on app?)

Post by barbados2012 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi All,
I left my job a few months ago to travel until I start law school. Does a 4 month gap on my resume really matter (assuming I submit everything by the end of this month)? Should I explain this somewhere?
Thanks!

redsox

Silver

Re: left job in june to travel for a year (put anywhere on app?)

Post by redsox » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:06 pm

Where have you been so far/are you going in the next 10 months?

barbados2012

New

Post by barbados2012 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:19 pm

i'm on an extended backpacking/climbing trip - so far i've done an extended climbing trip in the pacific northwest (california/oregon/washington/squamish, bc), and now i've started my asia leg (korea, japan, china), and then i'm headed to SE Asia for more climbing (hopefully spending 2-3 months in Krabi, Thailand).

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:35 pm

barbados2012 wrote:i'm on an extended backpacking/climbing trip - so far i've done an extended climbing trip in the pacific northwest (california/oregon/washington/squamish, bc), and now i've started my asia leg (korea, japan, china), and then i'm headed to SE Asia for more climbing (hopefully spending 2-3 months in Krabi, Thailand).
Sounds like an awesome thing to mention at the bottom of your resume.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:02 pm

Lots of people think international travelers are shady.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:08 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Lots of people think international travelers are shady.
:shock:

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Lots of.. lame/scared-of-leaving-their-backyard people?
barbados2012 wrote: Does a 4 month gap on my resume really matter?
No.

McGruff

Bronze

Post by McGruff » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:11 pm

You're joking, right? Surely between C&F and the rest of their resume/app, it would come out if they're shady and, assuming they aren't, OP's description of his trip makes him sound like an interesting person with an uncommon perspective, which seems like a net gain to me.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:58 pm

McGruff wrote:
You're joking, right? Surely between C&F and the rest of their resume/app, it would come out if they're shady and, assuming they aren't, OP's description of his trip makes him sound like an interesting person with an uncommon perspective, which seems like a net gain to me.
You wouldn't find it shady if somebody bailed on their career, friends, family, and community for four months?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

barbados2012

New

Post by barbados2012 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:16 pm

i like to think i'm not shady - and i'm very happy to be traveling for the next year climbing in some of the most beautiful locations.

my family, friends, former employer, community do not think i'm shady and were in fact very encouraging. i'm sorry if yours don't have the same perspective.

anyway, this was one of my first posts on TLS, and i do appreciate the constructive responses to my question.

good luck everyone on their apps!

wealtheow

Silver

Post by wealtheow » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:25 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
McGruff wrote:
You wouldn't find it shady if somebody bailed on their career, friends, family, and community for four months?

i suppose it would depend on the individual adcomm how they viewed it.

OP, this could make you look very neat, independent, adventurous, passionate about travel, etc etc. if this is not funded by grant/fellowship, however, i'd just make sure adcomms have no room to interpret this as just another indulgent "eye opening!!" romp that's so trendy these days. i know a couple people who have undertaken similar endeavors and blog about it, and i don't know if they mean to, but they come across as totally entitled and out of touch. this sounds like something that is very meaningful for you, so perhaps it warrants more than a post script on your resume - maybe you could incorporate into the personal statement?

oh, and welcome to TLS :)
Last edited by wealtheow on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:25 pm

Tom Joad wrote:You wouldn't find it shady if somebody bailed on their career, friends, family, and community for four months?
Given that most people who go to law school are going to bail on their career, friends, family, and community for three years, probably not.

McGruff

Bronze

Post by McGruff » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
McGruff wrote:
I don't think I'd personally construe it as bailing on their career etc. but this is a good point, in that OP should anticipate and try to prevent that sort of interpretation. I agree with the above poster who suggests incorporating it into a Personal Statement (I also agree that travel bloggers often unintentionally come across as entitled and out of touch, incidentally) in order to stress the purpose that you had in taking such a trip.

If it looks like you had substantial obligations and your trip was a means of avoiding them, then it's a bad look. If it looks like you were at a crossroads after wrapping up the obligations of your circumstances, and you decided to fulfill a particular dream of yours by taking some time to travel before continuing your career, then personally I think it's a good look.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:33 pm

McGruff wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
McGruff wrote:
I don't think I'd personally construe it as bailing on their career etc. but this is a good point, in that OP should anticipate and try to prevent that sort of interpretation. I agree with the above poster who suggests incorporating it into a Personal Statement (I also agree that travel bloggers often unintentionally come across as entitled and out of touch, incidentally) in order to stress the purpose that you had in taking such a trip.

If it looks like you had substantial obligations and your trip was a means of avoiding them, then it's a bad look. If it looks like you were at a crossroads after wrapping up the obligations of your circumstances, and you decided to fulfill a particular dream of yours by taking some time to travel before continuing your career, then personally I think it's a good look.

biglaw = end of your life. before law school is the perfect time to get any travelling you want to do out of your system. adcoms have no problems with this.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
McGruff wrote:
For FOUR whole months?! [x] You have a really strange perspective if you think this is "bailing" on your career, friends, family, and community.

And as redsox mentioned, going to law school is a much more significant "bail" on all of the above.

Lol, "bailing"... I can't even...
Last edited by cotiger on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:01 pm

barbados2012 wrote:i like to think i'm not shady - and i'm very happy to be traveling for the next year climbing in some of the most beautiful locations.
Climber bros gunna climb.

Sounds awesome, OP. Now's a great time to do a trip like that, and you don't have to include anything about it outside of a resume line unless you want to. No adcom is going to need any sort of special explanation.

csargean

New

Post by csargean » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:04 pm

What a coincidence... I was wondering the same thing regarding nearly the same trip (minus the asia aspect). I spent 2 months climbing in squamish, bishop, and yosemite. Probably crossed paths with you haha. I was thinking about trying to swing it into my ps, but it was a stretch so I decided to leave it out. Let me know what you ended up doing with it if you don't mind!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mellow

Bronze

Post by mellow » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:10 pm

I agree with the people who said you should give some thought on how you're going to present it. Likes others have said, you want to avoid sounding like a travel blogger. Emphasize the climbing aspect of it instead, because that's a much better reason for traveling than "experiencing the world." And it's a pretty cool reason at that :D

Also, don't force it into your PS if it doesn't feel natural. One line in your resume's "personal" section should be enough. But it could be a good topic for a PS if you haven't worked on it already.

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Lots of people I think international travelers are shady.
Fixed that for you.

But I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds so many bloggers and "inspiration-seeking" travelers entitled and often vapid. :)

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:38 am

midnight_circus wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Lots of people I think international travelers are shady.
Fixed that for you.

But I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds so many bloggers and "inspiration-seeking" travelers entitled and often vapid. :)
Agree. I travel because I love it...I don't know why people try to ascribe some deeper life-changing meaning to it. Maybe it assouges their guilt over having the luxury of being able to traverse the globe on a whim while they see people living in shitty economic conditions wherever they go.

Hipster but Athletic

Gold

Post by Hipster but Athletic » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:43 am

I think traveling in the way you did is the exception to Joad's point. What you did is not shady. However, for an adult to "travel" rather than "vacation," i think it implies a bit of irresponsibility. I think that's generally what people "love" about "traveling" too --just not really having any responsibilities. People will say that they "love seeing new things!" and trying new foods or whatever...but Im confident that's just pretext...there's plenty yet to be seen within close range, and you can get pretty much any food pretty easily (especially if you live in a city).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

McGruff

Bronze

Post by McGruff » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:16 am

Hipster but Athletic wrote:I think traveling in the way you did is the exception to Joad's point. What you did is not shady. However, for an adult to "travel" rather than "vacation," i think it implies a bit of irresponsibility. I think that's generally what people "love" about "traveling" too --just not really having any responsibilities. People will say that they "love seeing new things!" and trying new foods or whatever...but Im confident that's just pretext...there's plenty yet to be seen within close range, and you can get pretty much any food pretty easily (especially if you live in a city).
This is silly. It's only irresponsible if you're neglecting some responsibility you already have. If someone who wants to go travel for a while isn't running away from family/debt/crime/other obligations, they aren't being irresponsible any more than someone who chooses not to have children or buy a house because they don't like being tied down. Free spirits and all that.

Your second point, conflating seeing other cultures with seeing new parts of the same culture is a blatant false equivalence.

Hipster but Athletic

Gold

Post by Hipster but Athletic » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:21 am

McGruff wrote:
Hipster but Athletic wrote:I think traveling in the way you did is the exception to Joad's point. What you did is not shady. However, for an adult to "travel" rather than "vacation," i think it implies a bit of irresponsibility. I think that's generally what people "love" about "traveling" too --just not really having any responsibilities. People will say that they "love seeing new things!" and trying new foods or whatever...but Im confident that's just pretext...there's plenty yet to be seen within close range, and you can get pretty much any food pretty easily (especially if you live in a city).
This is silly. It's only irresponsible if you're neglecting some responsibility you already have. If someone who wants to go travel for a while isn't running away from family/debt/crime/other obligations, they aren't being irresponsible any more than someone who chooses not to have children or buy a house because they don't like being tied down. Free spirits and all that.

Your second point, conflating seeing other cultures with seeing new parts of the same culture is a blatant false equivalence.
ya sorry irresponsibility is the wrong word --just meant it represents a choice to not want to be responsible for anything for awhile. arresponsible, maybe. it's not a bad thing...but it differs from a vacation in that it's just a longer hiatus, under the guise of education.

i also don't know why it's false equivalence. equivalence need not be exactly the same.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:50 am

Too late to affect the OP's decision, but there's nothing wrong with specifying extended travel in a resume. YLS's class profile from last year included a classmate who went on a 17-month trip with his wife through whatever number of countries, so it appears to have even been a positive in his case. At the very least, it's much better than an extended gap left unexplained.

barbados2012

New

Post by barbados2012 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:14 pm

csargean - so i did end up adding a small line to the bottom of my resume in a personal section that said something like:

enjoy rock climbing, practicing yoga, and cycling; spent X-X backpacking and climbing through the Pacific Northwest..

i kept it short/didn't mention that i would be traveling until i start school (under the employment section for some of my apps, under why i left my job i added "extended travel," but that's pretty much it. i also kept it out of my PS.

on a side note - i'm sry for those of you who think i'm being irresponsible. we all have our own opinions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”