Lsac NYC Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Clearly

Lsac NYC Forum

Postby Clearly » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:07 pm

Anyone going?

lastsamurai

Re: Lsac NYC Forum

Postby lastsamurai » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:23 pm

I'd like to go on Friday if work isn't too crazy. I'm unfortunately out of town on Saturday though. You?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:00 pm

I'll be there

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:22 pm

Clearly wrote:I'll be there

Are they worth going to? What exactly do you learn from them? Regardless, I'll probably be there Friday afternoon. Though ugh MidTTTown.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:23 pm

I went last year and was planning on going this year to ask a few specific JD/MBA questions, but I won't be in town. I strongly suggest going to the thing where they talk about paying for law school. It's very informative and you get to watch everyone have shocked expressions when they see the interest rates and find out they can't get gov't grants for law school.

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:55 am

jingosaur wrote:I went last year and was planning on going this year to ask a few specific JD/MBA questions, but I won't be in town. I strongly suggest going to the thing where they talk about paying for law school. It's very informative and you get to watch everyone have shocked expressions when they see the interest rates and find out they can't get gov't grants for law school.

So, worth it for the entertainment factor alone? ;)

I'm going tomorrow afternoon. I have to be in the city tomorrow morning anyway, so I figured why not. I want to collect a bunch of brochures. I like brochures. No, really. I like school brochures. They're fun reads, nice pictures, and none of the schools in my area have sent me any in the mail - only schools far away have done. So I'll use this as an opportunity to get some brochures, talk to some folks, etc.

Did any of you get invites from any schools for after-hours events? I got a couple from some TTTTs, for meeting after, hors d'oeuvres, drinks.

axel.foley

Postby axel.foley » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:42 am

Planing on going Saturday. Have any of you also been receiving incessant emails from TTTs since you signed up? They just don't stop...12 alone in the past 4 hours. No way to opt out either. :evil:

edit: RoaringMice, me too. No emails from the T14. I guess that's to be expected.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:16 pm

axel.foley wrote:Planing on going Saturday. Have any of you also been receiving incessant emails from TTTs since you signed up? They just don't stop...12 alone in the past 4 hours. No way to opt out either. :evil:

edit: RoaringMice, me too. No emails from the T14. I guess that's to be expected.

I've received 58 e-mails from schools informing me that they will be at the LSAC forum.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:23 pm

RoaringMice wrote:
Did any of you get invites from any schools for after-hours events? I got a couple from some TTTTs, for meeting after, hors d'oeuvres, drinks.

Damn, I just auto-delete all schools I'm not applying to. Looks like I'm missing out on some sick afterparties.

tbesancon

Postby tbesancon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:00 pm

cotiger wrote:

Are they worth going to? What exactly do you learn from them? Regardless, I'll probably be there Friday afternoon. Though ugh MidTTTown.

Go for the fee waivers.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:12 pm

tbesancon wrote:
cotiger wrote:

Go for the fee waivers.

Eh, already got most of the ones I'm applying to, and somehow I doubt Chicago hands them out at these things. Still, like RoaringMice, I'm a sucker for pretty, glossy pictures and will probably go and collect some.

Also, FWIW here is Spivey's opinion: http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/forums ... e-or-draw/

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:42 pm

I've been receiving the emails too...actually got a few from the T14, which was enough for me to want to go

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:57 pm

lastsamurai wrote:I've been receiving the emails too...actually got a few from the T14, which was enough for me to want to go

Oh god, I'm being full on snubbed by the T14. Oh well, there's always the Catholic University of America. See you at table 403!

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:24 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:I've been receiving the emails too...actually got a few from the T14, which was enough for me to want to go

Oh god, I'm being full on snubbed by the T14. Oh well, there's always the Catholic University of America. See you at table 403!

That was my favorite one!

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:16 am

I got one from Yale! I didn't even know Yale sent unsolicited e-mails. But my personal favorite e-mail goes to the University of Montana:

Montana Law 3L wrote:I apologize for the fact that you may be receiving hundreds of emails right now from a number of law schools. I just wanted to let you know that a current 3L student, Shannon Hathaway, will be attending the New York LSAC Forum Saturday, representing the University of Montana School of Law.

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:39 am

jingosaur wrote:I got one from Yale! I didn't even know Yale sent unsolicited e-mails. But my personal favorite e-mail goes to the University of Montana:

Montana Law 3L wrote:I apologize for the fact that you may be receiving hundreds of emails right now from a number of law schools. I just wanted to let you know that a current 3L student, Shannon Hathaway, will be attending the New York LSAC Forum Saturday, representing the University of Montana School of Law.

Yeah Yale was a big surprise...maybe means the FBI is tracking us or something? I actually thought Montana's email was one of the better ones I got

gottago

deleted

Postby gottago » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:42 pm

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:46 am

I went yesterday and am currently here now. Really only here for my reach schools and the Financial Aid workshop. Goal is to get some fee waivers today.

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:48 pm

I went. Got several fee waivers, even for some decent schools, and collected a ton of brochures. My favorite brochures so far is Yale... Sigh...

The "friendliest staff award" goes to Cornell, for their bubbly enthusiasm.

The most "intense pitch award" for me was Fordham. They really were working to get me to want to apply.

The "table with a surprising amount of business, considering the school isn't very well ranked and it is outside the Northeast" award goes to Liberty U, which did a... well, a surprising amount of business, when compared to other similarly ranked schools.

The "I'm so sorry we're Catholic let me tell you how we're not overly Catholic" award goes to BC, which started in on how it's only as religious as you want it to be, until they realized I'm actually *interested* in the fact that they are Catholic. ;)

The "Let's not bother, we know you want us" award goes to Harvard, which did not show up. Empty table with a few brochures.

axel.foley

Postby axel.foley » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:23 pm

RoaringMice wrote:I went. Got several fee waivers, even for some decent schools, and collected a ton of brochures. My favorite brochures so far is Yale... Sigh...

The "friendliest staff award" goes to Cornell, for their bubbly enthusiasm.

The most "intense pitch award" for me was Fordham. They really were working to get me to want to apply.

The "table with a surprising amount of business, considering the school isn't very well ranked and it is outside the Northeast" award goes to Liberty U, which did a... well, a surprising amount of business, when compared to other similarly ranked schools.

The "I'm so sorry we're Catholic let me tell you how we're not overly Catholic" award goes to BC, which started in on how it's only as religious as you want it to be, until they realized I'm actually *interested* in the fact that they are Catholic. ;)

The "Let's not bother, we know you want us" award goes to Harvard, which did not show up. Empty table with a few brochures.

Hmm I think you must've caught HLS during their lunch break. Jessica Soban herself was at the table around 3:30 on Saturday.

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:31 pm

axel.foley wrote:
Hmm I think you must've caught HLS during their lunch break. Jessica Soban herself was at the table around 3:30 on Saturday.

I was there on Friday. They weren't there at all on Friday.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”