Help please! statement to prove my age upon enrollment?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bbsexclusively

Help please! statement to prove my age upon enrollment?

Postby bbsexclusively » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:29 pm

Recently LSAC asked me to provide an official statement issued by my college which states my age upon enrollment. Has anyone else been asked about this kind thing? It's so weird... Nobody I know has been required to provide such thing. Actually I asked my college, and such statement even doesn't exist. I really need to know why I'm so special. I may miss all the ED and even the opportunities to get into law schools because of this. Please help!

Ramius

Re: Help please! statement to prove my age upon enrollment?

Postby Ramius » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Have you tried contacting LSAC asking for some clarification on this? It seems pretty strange to me unless you're far outside the normal realm of "college age." Even then, I would think they would give some amplifying guidance. I would definitely contact LSAC and see if they can provide further guidance or maybe a sample letter that your school can use to generate something similar.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:34 pm

Such a statement may not exist as a standard form, but it shouldn't be hard to get the registrar's office to whip up something on school letterhead. They know when you enrolled, and you can fax/email them a copy of your driver's license or passport to prove your birthdate.

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:36 pm

I googled [lsac "age upon enrollment"] and got this.

Go to your college's registrar and talk to them, go to the head of your department at your university, basically just ask people at your university what they can come up with and then fax it to LSAC. As the google-translated respondent to that chinese forum question put it, "Follow the advice that is, needless to say".

bbsexclusively

Postby bbsexclusively » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:59 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:Have you tried contacting LSAC asking for some clarification on this? It seems pretty strange to me unless you're far outside the normal realm of "college age." Even then, I would think they would give some amplifying guidance. I would definitely contact LSAC and see if they can provide further guidance or maybe a sample letter that your school can use to generate something similar.

I went to college at 16. It's within normal range I think. Actually I sent a couple of emails to them and explained that my college can't provide such thing, but they just insisted on it. I really don't know what I should do now.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:01 pm

bbsexclusively wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:Have you tried contacting LSAC asking for some clarification on this? It seems pretty strange to me unless you're far outside the normal realm of "college age." Even then, I would think they would give some amplifying guidance. I would definitely contact LSAC and see if they can provide further guidance or maybe a sample letter that your school can use to generate something similar.

I went to college at 16. It's within normal range I think. Actually I sent a couple of emails to them and explained that my college can't provide such thing, but they just insisted on it. I really don't know what I should do now.

I would take the LSAC letter to the registrar. If you're nice, the registrar will write a letter to LSAC for you. Use some tact.
Last edited by JazzOne on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbsexclusively

Postby bbsexclusively » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:02 pm

McGruff wrote:I googled [lsac "age upon enrollment"] and got this.

Go to your college's registrar and talk to them, go to the head of your department at your university, basically just ask people at your university what they can come up with and then fax it to LSAC. As the google-translated respondent to that chinese forum question put it, "Follow the advice that is, needless to say".

Thanks. It's just weird. Nobody has ever had this problem.

bbsexclusively

Postby bbsexclusively » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:05 pm

JazzOne wrote:
bbsexclusively wrote:

I would take the LSAC letter to the registrar. If you're nice, they'll write a letter for you. Use some tact.

The college may calculate your GPA, but to prove your age is just not their job. And LSAC should know it. Why are they doing this to me....

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:05 pm

bbsexclusively wrote:

It's not unheard of, but 16 is pretty young. Your academic career thus far is not typical, and so you probably shouldn't be surprised by atypical questions.

bbsexclusively

Postby bbsexclusively » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:06 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:Such a statement may not exist as a standard form, but it shouldn't be hard to get the registrar's office to whip up something on school letterhead. They know when you enrolled, and you can fax/email them a copy of your driver's license or passport to prove your birthdate.

It seems there's no other way but show them my passport. WHF....

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:07 pm

bbsexclusively wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
bbsexclusively wrote:

I would take the LSAC letter to the registrar. If you're nice, they'll write a letter for you. Use some tact.

The college may calculate your GPA, but to prove your age is just not their job. And LSAC should know it. Why are they doing this to me....

The fact that you're reacting like a thwarted child to this relatively simple request may be illustrative. It's a bit odd, but quit whining and just do it.

If you approach them in a mature and polite way, your registrar should be able to throw something together for you.

bbsexclusively

Postby bbsexclusively » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:08 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
bbsexclusively wrote:

It's not unheard of, but 16 is pretty young. Your academic career thus far is not typical, and so you probably shouldn't be surprised by atypical questions.

Do you know someone with the same problem? How did they work that out?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:12 pm

You should be able to handle this. You already received good advice.

Contact LSAC. Contact your registrar. If they can't help you, we sure as hell can't.
Last edited by JazzOne on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bbsexclusively

Postby bbsexclusively » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:13 pm

I went to college at 16. It's within normal range I think. Actually I sent a couple of emails to them and explained that my college can't provide such thing, but they just insisted on it. I really don't know what I should do now.[/quote]
I would take the LSAC letter to the registrar. If you're nice, they'll write a letter for you. Use some tact.[/quote]
The college may calculate your GPA, but to prove your age is just not their job. And LSAC should know it. Why are they doing this to me....[/quote]
The fact that you're reacting like a thwarted child to this relatively simple request may be illustrative. It's a bit odd, but quit whining and just do it.

If you approach them in a mature and polite way, your registrar should be able to throw something together for you.[/quote]
Actually I've already went to the registrar several times. They just don't have that kind of thing. What else can I do? LSAC just can't stop evaluating my transcripts because of something that doesn't exist. That'd totally...

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:16 pm

bbsexclusively wrote:Actually I've already went to the registrar several times. They just don't have that kind of thing. What else can I do? LSAC just can't stop evaluating my transcripts because of something that doesn't exist. That'd totally...

Just because they don't have a form for it doesn't mean they can't verify your age. Take them your passport, ask them to write on a piece of school letterhead something to the effect of "our records and the government issued ID presented by Joe Schmo indicate that his birthday is Jan 1, 1992." Include a copy of your passport photo page. See if you can get it notarized if you really want to go nuts.

And calm down.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:16 pm

bbsexclusively wrote:Do you know someone with the same problem? How did they work that out?

Not the exact same problem, but my undergrad's registrar had to help me out when I needed to show the US Patent and Trademark office that my undergraduate degree program had the appropriate accreditation in 1994 to allow me to take the Patent Bar. Ask politely, and I'm sure they'll help you out. Your registrar isn't even having to "go to bat" for you, or convince anyone of anything - just provide a statement saying when you enrolled, and that they've been shown documentation that says you were born on such-and-such date.

bbsexclusively

Postby bbsexclusively » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:56 pm

Anyone help me pls? I'm literally going crazy.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:59 pm

Do what rinkrat said.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:01 pm

bbsexclusively wrote:Anyone help me pls? I'm literally going crazy.

Sigh.

rinkrat19 wrote:Just because they don't have a form for it doesn't mean they can't verify your age. Take them your passport, ask them to write on a piece of school letterhead something to the effect of "our records and the government issued ID presented by Joe Schmo indicate that his birthday is Jan 1, 1992." Include a copy of your passport photo page. See if you can get it notarized if you really want to go nuts.

And calm down.
Jesus.

bbsexclusively

Postby bbsexclusively » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:39 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
bbsexclusively wrote:Actually I've already went to the registrar several times. They just don't have that kind of thing. What else can I do? LSAC just can't stop evaluating my transcripts because of something that doesn't exist. That'd totally...

Just because they don't have a form for it doesn't mean they can't verify your age. Take them your passport, ask them to write on a piece of school letterhead something to the effect of "our records and the government issued ID presented by Joe Schmo indicate that his birthday is Jan 1, 1992." Include a copy of your passport photo page. See if you can get it notarized if you really want to go nuts.

And calm down.

First, I already went to the rigistrar, and she said the school doesn't provide that kind of service. Second, my graduate certification already has my birthday and the year of attendance. I really have no idea why the committee wants me to send something that doesn't even exist. I can't believe I'll never have a chance to get into law school because of this.

wiz

Postby wiz » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:56 pm

bbsexclusively wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

And calm down.

First, I already went to the rigistrar, and she said the school doesn't provide that kind of service. Second, my graduate certification already has my birthday and the year of attendance. I really have no idea why the committee wants me to send something that doesn't even exist. I can't believe I'll never have a chance to get into law school because of this.

Why do you keep asking the same question over and over? People have told you what to do. Go do it.

You'll never have the chance to get into law school? Flame.

hawkeye10

Postby hawkeye10 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:58 pm

great. I'll probably have to do the same thing. Thanks for the warning, I think I'll get started rounding that junk up when I ask for my transcripts for LSAC.

lmsf

Postby lmsf » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:44 am

wiz wrote:
bbsexclusively wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

And calm down.

Why do you keep asking the same question over and over? People have told you what to do. Go do it.

You'll never have the chance to get into law school? Flame.

OP, are you sure about this law school thing? Not to be a douche but part of being a lawyer is using a logical argument to convince people to do what you want them to do ... people have suggested multiple potential solutions and your response is to repeat the same thing, freak out, and say why none of these ideas would work. I'm not saying you'll never be a good lawyer, but I'm concerned that you may not be ready for the challenges, and stress, of law school, if having to get 1 unusual form is messing you up this much. And learn to advocate for yourself. Who cares if they don't have the type of form you need? Ask to speak to a supervisor, ask to speak to a dean (since the dean's office often has to submit a form that you were in good standing for law schools anyway), if your school has a law school as part of the campus go talk to the law school and ask them if they have dealt with this before, call LSAC and ask them how other applicants have gotten this type of document, write up a document yourself that states these basic facts and ask the registrar's office to put an official stamp on it or make a copy of the document with their logo and sign it, see if LSAC would accept a copy of your passport/driver's license with a copy of your acceptance letter or a document that shows your dates of attendance in combination with your ID, but most of all, chill out! I don't think LSAC is in the business of asking applicants for impossible documents to keep them out of the application process and unable to hand over all of that $$$ in fees. Geez

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:20 am

Jesus Christ you show your age. Buck up tiger, you are handling this like an infant.

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:23 am

The OP makes me think that perhaps there ought to be an official statement letter to prove maturity, not age.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”