question about Dean's Letter and C& F

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
walterwhite

question about Dean's Letter and C& F

Postby walterwhite » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:18 pm

redacted
Last edited by walterwhite on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Re: question about Dean's Letter and C& F

Postby bp shinners » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:09 pm

walterwhite wrote:I received a copy of my student conduct record (dean's letter) which stated that I had "no disciplinary history significant enough to be worth reporting" or something to that effect.

However, on a few occasions I have had some very minor alcohol violations and have been given low level warnings. Do I need to report these? The letter makes it sound like I'm perfectly clean.

Also I'm not sure which of these violations are actually on my record. Some were just "administrative warnings" which aren't actually marked on my record.

Depends on the wording of the question on the application, but if in doubt, disclose it.

walterwhite

Postby walterwhite » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:58 pm

This is confusing though because some schools such as Duke require that a Dean's letter EXPLAIN the incidents fully. my dean's letter from my UG doesn't even mention the incidents (because they were so insignificant)

Basically I'm looking at a situation where i'll have 3-4 very minor incidents mentioned in my addendum but my Dean's letter won't so anything- is this unusual?

oxie

Postby oxie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:03 pm

I was in a similar situation (had a couple noise violations that I disclosed, but officials at my undergrad school said they were so minor they didn't have them in my record) and I didn't have any problems with Duke. I think they understand that there can be a gap between what applicants fell they should disclose and what schools keep on file.

walterwhite

Postby walterwhite » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:41 pm

oxie wrote:I was in a similar situation (had a couple noise violations that I disclosed, but officials at my undergrad school said they were so minor they didn't have them in my record) and I didn't have any problems with Duke. I think they understand that there can be a gap between what applicants fell they should disclose and what schools keep on file.

ok that's good I was worried I would have to ask the dean's office for individualized dean's letters documenting each incident. That would be an absolute nightmare the res life people and administrators at my school are absolutely miserable

walterwhite

Postby walterwhite » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:10 pm

bump

does anybody else have an experience like this (where their UG discloses less than the law school asks for)?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:35 pm

Very similar to your situation. I basically disclosed if the question asked about warnings, and if it asked about actual punishments, I didn't. I disclosed a minor alcohol issue (got a warning) to Duke, and they seemed satisfied with a letter from the registrar stating that I had no record.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”