Medical Doctor with Residency applying to law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
msg0122
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 11:05 pm

Medical Doctor with Residency applying to law school?

Postby msg0122 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:40 pm

Hello All,

Would a trained medical doctor with residency be a big plus for law school or is it still all about numbers in this case as well?

Thanks

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Medical Doctor with Residency applying to law school?

Postby spleenworship » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:43 pm

Unless you are going HYSCCN please, for the love of God, just be a medical doctor.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: Medical Doctor with Residency applying to law school?

Postby 052220151 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:46 pm

spleenworship wrote:Unless you are going HYSCCN please, for the love of God, just be a medical doctor.


This. Also, unless you are wealthy or getting a full ride, don't go.

Mostly, don't go.

msg0122
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 11:05 pm

Re: Medical Doctor with Residency applying to law school?

Postby msg0122 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:57 pm

deputydog wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Unless you are going HYSCCN please, for the love of God, just be a medical doctor.


This. Also, unless you are wealthy or getting a full ride, don't go.

Mostly, don't go.


I understand your concerns with Law School, however, it is something I would like to do.

My original question still stands: what are the prospects for a physician in the law school admissions process?

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Medical Doctor with Residency applying to law school?

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Back whence you came bro.

Image

User avatar
KD35
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 am

Re: Medical Doctor with Residency applying to law school?

Postby KD35 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:01 pm

msg0122 wrote:
deputydog wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Unless you are going HYSCCN please, for the love of God, just be a medical doctor.


This. Also, unless you are wealthy or getting a full ride, don't go.

Mostly, don't go.


I understand your concerns with Law School, however, it is something I would like to do.

My original question still stands: what are the prospects for a physician in the law school admissions process?


As much as I've seen from lurking around the forums, there doesn't appear to be any huge benefit. In terms of actually trying to get a job, who knows? It could help with getting a job. But unless you're a URM, numbers still matter the same for you as everyone else.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Medical Doctor with Residency applying to law school?

Postby spleenworship » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:12 pm

If you insist on metaphorically blowing your brains out:

It's a boost. It will help you in any tie breakers, and might give a slight boost to your effective GPA if you end up being a splitter.

Otherwise, it doesn't help much.

To put it another way, you will have totally and unequivocally wasted seven to twelve years of your life with medical school, residency, and fellowships. You will rarely, and possibly never, use that knowledge again outside of party trivia. You will have racked up $100-250K of debt PRIOR to raking up another $250K of debt, AND have given up a guaranteed job to have a 50% chance at a job that pays approximately 20% of what you would've made as a physician.

Why don't you just move to f***ing Belize and make pinatas to sell to drunk tourists and save yourself the heartache? Seriously, even if you hate being a doctor (as several of my doctor friends do), once you've paid off your debt you can save up money, buy a nice house, and just work PRN to pay bills while pursuing your hobbies in your free time or whatever.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Medical Doctor with Residency applying to law school?

Postby SemperLegal » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:04 pm

msg0122 wrote:Hello All,

Would a trained medical doctor with residency be a big plus for law school or is it still all about numbers in this case as well?

Thanks



All the doctors that I know in LS are transfers. Which means, that admissions views it as less of a plus than, perhaps, they should. (Unless they reason that anyone who would spend a decade and a quarter million dollars on a task and then quitting either shows a lack of judgement, lack of follow through, or a bad long term investment when it comes to alumni relations).

Also, keep in mind that MDs are not patent-eligible (unless their BS is in one of a few majors).




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests