Is an 'overcoming adversity' PS appropriate here?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschoolapplicant13

Is an 'overcoming adversity' PS appropriate here?

Postby lawschoolapplicant13 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:20 pm

I have written a personal statement that falls into the category of 'overcoming adversity.'

The directions for the PS of one law school I am applying to are: "Attach a personal statement or essay of your original work that describes your interest in law study and XYZ Law School, your skills and qualifications, or otherwise supports your case for admission."

Would this be an appropriate school to submit my 'overcoming adversity' personal statement or should I write a new statement?

Br3v

Re: Is an 'overcoming adversity' PS appropriate here?

Postby Br3v » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:17 pm

lawschoolapplicant13 wrote:I have written a personal statement that falls into the category of 'overcoming adversity.'

The directions for the PS of one law school I am applying to are: "Attach a personal statement or essay of your original work that describes your interest in law study and XYZ Law School, your skills and qualifications, or otherwise supports your case for admission."

Would this be an appropriate school to submit my 'overcoming adversity' personal statement or should I write a new statement?

Seems to fit clause (3). I'd make sure it expressed how that made you better prepared for law school or something though

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:30 pm

Your PS won't fall outside of any school's requirements.

(But if your "overcoming adversity" PS has to do with drug or alcohol use/addiction, criminality, major mental health issues, or anything similarly unflattering, tear it up and start over.)

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:14 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Your PS won't fall outside of any school's requirements.

Exactly. Pretty much every school's PS prompt can be boiled down to, "Write 2 pages about why you're an interesting and driven person."

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”