will law schools care if I got a 'b' in piano class?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

will law schools care if I got a 'b' in piano class?

Postby itachiuchiha » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:33 pm

so I have all my lsac transcripts in and my LSAC gpa is a 3.82. I wont get fall 2013 grades back until december, so i will be applying with what I currently have and law schools wont see my piano grade (which is expected to be a B) unless I update my transcript in december.

If my GPA is lower, is it worth it to update transcripts?

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: will law schools care if I got a 'b' in piano class?

Postby midwest17 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:45 pm

Most schools require that you update your transcripts promptly. If you don't, they'll assume the worst anyways. (The data they end up reporting to USNWR is based on your final grades at graduation, not what you initially submit when you apply.)

deebanger
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: will law schools care if I got a 'b' in piano class?

Postby deebanger » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:40 pm

midwest17 wrote:Most schools require that you update your transcripts promptly. If you don't, they'll assume the worst anyways. (The data they end up reporting to USNWR is based on your final grades at graduation, not what you initially submit when you apply.)



wow, I never knew that schools have to report the finals grade received at graduation. So, for students in undergrad, why do many schools sent out acceptances in January/Feb when they could have two quarters left to complete. So, say for example, I apply in sep with my GPA for three years being 3.4, and I still have a entire year left in undergrad. Why would a school admit me, when my cumlative gpa could very well drop my senior year. say it drops down to a 3.2. Wont the school be pissed that they accepted a student with the 3.4, but now they have to report 3.2 to usnews, and it could hurt their ranking. Thank you in advance, Its a question I wanted to ask for a while.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: will law schools care if I got a 'b' in piano class?

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:42 pm

deebanger wrote:
midwest17 wrote:Most schools require that you update your transcripts promptly. If you don't, they'll assume the worst anyways. (The data they end up reporting to USNWR is based on your final grades at graduation, not what you initially submit when you apply.)



wow, I never knew that schools have to report the finals grade received at graduation. So, for students in undergrad, why do many schools sent out acceptances in January/Feb when they could have two quarters left to complete. So, say for example, I apply in sep with my GPA for three years being 3.4, and I still have a entire year left in undergrad. Why would a school admit me, when my cumlative gpa could very well drop my senior year. say it drops down to a 3.2. Wont the school be pissed that they accepted a student with the 3.4, but now they have to report 3.2 to usnews, and it could hurt their ranking. Thank you in advance, Its a question I wanted to ask for a while.

In theory, schools could rescind acceptances if you perform poorly. In practice, I'm not sure how much it actually happens, but my guess is not much.

deebanger
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: will law schools care if I got a 'b' in piano class?

Postby deebanger » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:49 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
deebanger wrote:
midwest17 wrote:Most schools require that you update your transcripts promptly. If you don't, they'll assume the worst anyways. (The data they end up reporting to USNWR is based on your final grades at graduation, not what you initially submit when you apply.)



wow, I never knew that schools have to report the finals grade received at graduation. So, for students in undergrad, why do many schools sent out acceptances in January/Feb when they could have two quarters left to complete. So, say for example, I apply in sep with my GPA for three years being 3.4, and I still have a entire year left in undergrad. Why would a school admit me, when my cumlative gpa could very well drop my senior year. say it drops down to a 3.2. Wont the school be pissed that they accepted a student with the 3.4, but now they have to report 3.2 to usnews, and it could hurt their ranking. Thank you in advance, Its a question I wanted to ask for a while.

In theory, schools could rescind acceptances if you perform poorly. In practice, I'm not sure how much it actually happens, but my guess is not much.



Oh ok. got it. So by perform poorly, like u mean drop from 3.4 to a 2.4 right? how about a 3.4 to 3.38? Do u think even a little drop can upset law schools?

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: will law schools care if I got a 'b' in piano class?

Postby bp shinners » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:12 pm

deebanger wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
deebanger wrote:
midwest17 wrote:Most schools require that you update your transcripts promptly. If you don't, they'll assume the worst anyways. (The data they end up reporting to USNWR is based on your final grades at graduation, not what you initially submit when you apply.)



wow, I never knew that schools have to report the finals grade received at graduation. So, for students in undergrad, why do many schools sent out acceptances in January/Feb when they could have two quarters left to complete. So, say for example, I apply in sep with my GPA for three years being 3.4, and I still have a entire year left in undergrad. Why would a school admit me, when my cumlative gpa could very well drop my senior year. say it drops down to a 3.2. Wont the school be pissed that they accepted a student with the 3.4, but now they have to report 3.2 to usnews, and it could hurt their ranking. Thank you in advance, Its a question I wanted to ask for a while.

In theory, schools could rescind acceptances if you perform poorly. In practice, I'm not sure how much it actually happens, but my guess is not much.



Oh ok. got it. So by perform poorly, like u mean drop from 3.4 to a 2.4 right? how about a 3.4 to 3.38? Do u think even a little drop can upset law schools?


No, stop worrying about this. A B in one class is nowhere close to the amount you'd have to mess up to make a law school rescind an admission.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: perfunctory, rararara111 and 10 guests