To write an addendum or not...(Bad Semester/Low GPA)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
meep

To write an addendum or not...(Bad Semester/Low GPA)

Postby meep » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:40 am

I have a GPA that's slightly above 3.5 with a noticeably bad semester (sophomore year 2nd semester).

My family encountered severe financial troubles and asked me to quit my expensive private school (u.S.) to come back to Asia and go to a cheaper one. I reacted badly, irresponsibly and immaturely. Skipping classes, partying, not picking up phone calls from my parents, spending way too much money.

I came back home after the semester and saw what was happening. Realized how stupid I had been. I went back junior year with a refreshed mindset and enhanced sense or responsiblity to my studies, future, and my family for the sacrifices they were making me get me through my expensive schooling. My grades show a steady climb up from junior to senior year.

Should I write and addendum explaining this? How best can I present this story and how many details must I include. This is such a sensitive, personal topic since it deals with family financial issues....bad investments/getting riped off, etc.? Do you need to put in these dirty details?

I just want to know how best to go about addressing this issue in the most effective way for law school applications.
Thanks.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Re: To write an addendum or not...(Bad Semester/Low GPA)

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:57 am

To give good advice we need to know how different your "bad" semester is from your 3.5 cumulative.

Also consider that a lot of applications have character/fitness questions such that you are required to write an addendum if you faced any sort of academic action/probation.

That said, I would say "yes" if you had a 1.5 or less. Anything higher and it's not automatic. Some people would probably say 2.0, but we're lacking relevant information.

Edit: for writing this, my advice is to own it. Admit immaturity and take responsibility. Argue that the issue is resolved.

meep

Postby meep » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:51 am

Thanks for the reply.

My 2nd semeter sophomore GPA is 2.8ish.
Compare that to my senior year GPA of 3.85.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:33 am

I would not write an addendum. Adcomms will see your upward gpa trend elsewhere. The reasons you gave seem so complicated that it is unlikely they will help you.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:49 pm

camelthing wrote:I would not write an addendum. Adcomms will see your upward gpa trend elsewhere. The reasons you gave seem so complicated that it is unlikely they will help you.

I disagree. That semester is anomalous, and you want to put it in context. Don't go into the specifics as to why you didn't do well, but stress from having a severe financial hardship would be a legitimate reason for having a poor semester. Just something short that says your family experienced an unexpected financial turn, putting the ability to pay tuition at risk. Because of that stress, your grades suffered. After figuring it out with your family and coming up with a plan for dealing with the situation, you were able to return to your previous academic success.

It's not about explaining anything away; it's about answering the question anyone who looks at your transcript will have with an answer that makes sense and doesn't reflect poorly on you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”